Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Restoring a '73 224 and the control levers (attachment lift lever and the TCV lever) are rusted/corroded. What's the best corrosion prevention treatment after they are cleaned up?......I want them new and shiny without a thick coat of paint.

Thanks

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,376 Posts
If you are going to leave them as polished metal wouldn't a good clear coat accomplish what you are looking for?

That should give somewhat of an original appearance, later models did have black painted control levers.

Bob

·
Administrator
4,138 Posts
Send 'em out for nickel plate or chrome if you want them shiny. Beware if they are pitted, it will be very expensive, but if it is nice smooth metal, very reasonable. Factory finish though was anodizing, less shiny. I agree, it's hard to reassemble and not scratch painted ones when shoving them through the dash bushings. Been there done that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
On mine I polished and did clear coat. When researching I saw reports that the clear on bare metal might yellow or not entirely protect if it isn’t over paint. I tried it anyway. So far it is holding up fine. Like paint though it will come off a bit when sliding through the dash bushings as Dundee is saying.

Powder coat might also be an option, but it might be too thick and require boring out bushings a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob.....did that on an earlier restore that I did a few years back and the corrosion is back, appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts