Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing some spring maintenance on my new to me 444.
1: can anyone help with all of the grease fittings? I found one on each front wheel spindle. One on each vertical turning thing on front steering. And one on the front axle pivot. And one behind the steering gear. Those are all I've been able to find
2: I'm going to change the rear end oil. Unlike in any manual that I've seen I only have one bolt on the back and one on the side of my axle. So I only seem to have a drain and a fill and not a level bolt. Is it still three quarts of oil?
3: I've asked this before but it was in more of a general thread and I would like to be more specific now. I am having issues with both the speed and strength of my sleeve hitch lift. From watching videos it should be pretty quick and mine crawls. Also it will not lift my 200 lb standing on it. Also my float will not stay in position as soon as I let it go it springs back to neutral. I'm going to presume that this is an issue with my TCV? The hydraulic pump is strong. I'm able to pull a 3000-lb trailer full of wood without issue. And my cylinder is not leaking as I can stand on the hitch all day and it won't move once it's already in position.
Thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've drained the oil and it looks like I've gotten at least three liters out of there

·
Administrator
5,992 Posts
I Find the operators manuals are a great source of info, for example rear diff calls for 3 quarts of oil, it shows all the lube points and stuff like that. Below is one I picked out, find yours by serial # as this one way be incorrect.

As Far as this question,

I am having issues with both the speed and strength of my sleeve hitch lift. From watching videos it should be pretty quick and mine crawls. Also it will not lift my 200 lb standing on it. Also my float will not stay in position as soon as I let it go it springs back to neutral. I'm going to presume that this is an issue with my TCV?

By the sounds of it, you do have a problem with your TCV, that should be addressed first before looking at several problems. IE, lets say your linkage is totally out of whack, this will lead to slow and poor lift, and it could also be not pushing/pulling your valve spool far enough to get into it's detent position,, I'd start by physically observing the under side, where the spool is, and whiles watching, have another person move the lever up, into it's "float position" and watch the spool, how much did it move? Any slop in the linkage and swivels? It could be your TCV itself may require servicing, but start there as it doesn't cost anything other then observation. Lastly, it did work prior, correct? Pictures of it with lever in float position would also determine if the spool is going back far enough, if it is, means dismantling of the end cap with the detent inside it,,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if it worked prior. I just bought it in the fall and the guy I bought it from now lives in italy.
Thank you for the manual. I didn't have that one. My manual states .5L. My rear end took 3L. Tcv seems to have full travel of the levers and not much play. But I also have nothing to compare it to as this is my first case machine

·
Administrator
5,992 Posts
Okay now that we know it's new to you, and I assume you're new to case tractors,

To get it into float, lever goes all the way up, and when you feel resistance, give it another shove up, Don't worry, it won't damage anything, but to get it to lock in float, does require an extra hard push to get the spool to slip into the float position.

Here's a manual for your year of tractor, it's a parts manual, page 52 part # 11 detent spool and also pay attention to parts #16->20. Notice you have two little ball bearings part #16? Just remember those, as the previous owner may of had them off, and could have lost them I suppose. (lets assume for now, they are in there, and everything is fine there).

Next go to page # 68 for your lift lever and parts breakdown, notice part # 14 on there? That thing wears out, and at times need replacing (dealers do sell new ones.) When that part wears out, and if someone isn't paying attention, when that lever pushes that part back towards rear of tractor, it also has to take up a bunch of slop,, so this needs to be checked.

How far back does that spool get pushed back into the valve? Check this picture out, look at the spool on the right side, it has new ball joints on it, notice the spot where you could stick a wrench on the spool? Notice that part, barely sticks out from the valve body about 1/4" to the section for the wrench? That valve spool is in it's detent position.

Does yours go in that far? If it does, then you'll have to look at page 52 for how to repair the valve detent section.
If it doesn't, then it's more then likely the ball joint, has to be either reset or replaced.

Only way to tell, is to look under tractor. Myself, I think your spool isn't going all the way back for 3 reasons, no power to lift, really slow moving, and doesn't get into detent. All indications that the spool is shifting, but not full travel backwards into body.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you I will look it over today.
This is my first case but not first tractor. I've run front end loaders and such and do know how to get into float. Float does work as when I put the lever in float, I can stand on the sleeve hitch and it slowly moves down. But I have to hold the lever in place it won't stay in float. So if it was an issue of the spool not going far enough, I'm able to go past full travel to float. But this is my first time troubleshooting hydraulics.

Also no power to push down. I figure I should be able to lift the back tires off the ground but there's no chance that will happen currently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also my machine is serial number 9652352 so is before the manual you included the link for. I have D1181 which I believe is the parts catalogue for my tractor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have an idea to what I said? If I'm able to go past the down function to float, clearly the travel of the controls is enough and that can not be the problem. Correct? I'm not sure but seems to make sense

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took some pictures.
Third is in neutral
Second in fully in the lift position.
First is fully down position.

I was unable to go to float by myself but it will go into float it just springs back to neutral as soon as you let go.
There is a bit of slop in the linkage. About quarter of an inch when lifting and about an inch of movement on the lever when going down. But since I'm able to get all the way to the float position I don't think that is limiting travel

PXL_20210404_194054202.jpg
PXL_20210404_194046856.jpg
PXL_20210404_194035667.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts