Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new steering wheel for my 1976 446. I see the new style that was offered in the parts area is NLA. Anybody have any idea where else I might find a 5/8" keyed steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
My 224's wheel measures 14" diameter and 4" dish, from the bottom of the hub to the top of the hand grip. I found this one at 14- 3/4 " diameter, unfortunately they don't list the dish dimension, and you would need a adaptor bushing Bob mentioned. This is the closed I have found so far, will keep looking ;-)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
277 Posts
It likely wouldn't take much to adapt one of these to fit: 13.5" Steering Wheel 17 mm 40 Spline Hub | Other Miscellaneous | Miscellaneous | www.surpluscenter.com

It has a 17mm (.669 inch) spline hole, which could be drilled out to 5/8 (.625) pretty easily. Then all you have to do is cut/file a keyway.
Font Circle Parallel Number Slope

Of course, it doesn't address the length/depth of the housing where it slides onto the keyed part of the shaft. And it doesn't adress the dish.

But it seems like it's probably workable with some effort.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looking around for info on the steering shaft, I came across this post.

I think this approach is hard to beat.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
Looking around for info on the steering shaft, I came across this post.

I think this approach is hard to beat.

Agree ... this is the approach we have been recommending to customers for a while now, but none had provided direct feedback on the outcome.

I had not seen RKH's post on this set up with the widely available Husq steering wheels ... looks great.

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts