Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Case 644 Loader
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Pretty sure these two issues are related, but want to ask those how know best.

The rear mounting bolt for my starter/generator has sheared off at the shoulder, and the front won't stay tight when the tractor is running, for obvious reasons. There is what appears to be a tensioner arm attached to the top of the unit, but one end is broken, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how the PO used it anyways, as there is nowhere to have attached it at the other end. I don't have time to pull the engine out of it, and I can't get a "EZ" out in there, so I'm thinking of rigging up a tension arm out of angle iron and a bolt for now.

I have to manually pull the starter outwards to the left of the tractor, while turning the key to get it to start, or else there isn't enough tension in the belt to turn the engine over. Once running... it runs great.

However, if I let it idle too low (this is where my second issue comes in) I blow the main fuse. When I turn the ignition off, the fuse also usually blows (about 1 in 3 times, it'll blow).

So, my first question is, am I right in assuming that the two issues are related?

and my second is... would anyone mind showing me a close up pic of their starter/gen, so I can figure out where this current useless attachment on top of it is supposed to go? or at least, let me know if it's a user-installed thing so I can stop trying to figure it out?

I appreciate any help you can offer, I'm a bit of a shadetree gearhead with motorcycles and snowmobiles, but this is my first foray into the world of old tractors.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,239 Posts

Top view where starter generator has belt tensioner.

Starter generator bottom bracket bolted to engine.

Front end view of bracket from engine to starter generator.

I hope these pics help.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
Case 644 Loader
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That does help.

Any chance I could get a pic of that top bracket in the first pic? That is def. not on my tractor.

·
Administrator
2,239 Posts
The bracket that goes from the engine to the adjustment one with the slot?

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
Case 644 Loader
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bracket that goes from the engine to the adjustment one with the slot?

Keep the Peace
Harry
That's the one. I have nowhere to attach that slotted arm... so I'm curious about that bracket. (this tractor came to me after a long life of neglect and baling wire fixes... I'm doing my best, but I have a ton of head scratchers.)

·
Administrator
2,239 Posts

It comes off the heads bolts then a 90 degree bend down to generator starter adjustment bracket.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Administrator
2,239 Posts
Maybe 10 ga, which is about 1/8" thick.

Keep the Peace
Harry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts