Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I finally got working on a 446 that I picked up this spring. I knew it had the wrong ignition switch and solenoid on it and I had ordered new ones. Also saw the harness had gotten awful hot, probably due to no fuse anywhere and the cigarette lighter that was installed. Well I then found out the amp gauge was just sitting in the hole and not connected, upon further investigation I couldn't see any wires to connect it to. So I drained the oil and removed the reservoir, never did this before so it was quit a learning experience. Well got the tank out and discovered that the PO had cut the wire from the netrual start switch and the PTO safety switch was broken and had no wiring going to it. I was lucky and had one from a parts tractor. Installed a voltage meter, (I am not a restorer) I got the electrical done and then fought with tank, worse part was trying to position the clamps so you could get a wrench on them .

My questions are:
1) Does everybody have as much fun as I did, removing and installing the tank?
2) Is what the PO did a criminal offense?

:facepalm: :headscratcher: :sidelaugh:

Ted

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Ted: Glad you got it going. :thumbsup: There should be some sort of punishment for PO who had no respect for equipment. My 646 is a prime example. Appropriate punishment should be that device called a stock where they put the person in the village square with the head and arms locked.
http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/42370/ ... ocks/like/
Hang a sign around the neck, tractor abuser! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If we could actually do that.................. I would begin to manufacture those stocks because every collector of garden tractors has seen badly abused tractors at one time or another. In the short time this forum has been alive, I bet we've seen 50 examples that would qualify a past owner for a few days in the stocks. The Colt with the Deere hood and green/yellow paint would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
Ted: Glad you got it going. :thumbsup: There should be some sort of punishment for PO who had no respect for equipment. My 646 is a prime example. Appropriate punishment should be that device called a stock where they put the person in the village square with the head and arms locked.
Hang a sign around the neck, tractor abuser! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
Rich,
After thinking about what you have gone through I shouldn't complain. At least all I needed was the switch, solenoid and gauge, at least everything was available. I picked up a 646LBH a while ago and I think I lucked out. Correct engine, all the sheet metal including the cover below the dash. Wrong fuel tank, but the PO gave me the orginal and with a little solder it got fixed.. Wiring was all screw because of a wrong switch, but with the correct switch I was able to sort it out. I never posted any pictures on this site, but if you need some pictures just send me a PM.

Ted

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Ted Miller said:
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
Rich,
After thinking about what you have gone through I shouldn't complain. At least all I needed was the switch, solenoid and gauge, at least everything was available. I picked up a 646LBH a while ago and I think I lucked out. Correct engine, all the sheet metal including the cover below the dash. Wrong fuel tank, but the PO gave me the orginal and with a little solder it got fixed.. Wiring was all screw because of a wrong switch, but with the correct switch I was able to sort it out. I never posted any pictures on this site, but if you need some pictures just send me a PM.

Ted
Ted thank you. I pulled some pics off the web. I also I bought a filter housing from Boomer's friend. Boomer is also guiding me on getting things squared away with carb, fuel pump. etc. :222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.