Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

A whats it worth question about a mint 200 series

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kjkansasdan 
#1 ·
I found a 200 series tractor, do not know what model yet as its in storage and will know in the next few days. I hear its mint and that remains to be seen also. If it was in mint shape what would a fair buying price be? I can not tell myself what year it would be so a picture of the unit is shown here. Working on a deal with the gent but his initial asking price was very high. Its only the tractor and what looks like a 48' deck.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's tough to evaluate something that has been stored away for decades. The tractor appears to be a 1979/80/81. It really doesn't matter which one of those years applies because it does not affect the price. On one hand, you could look at what other 200's of the same vintage are selling for and put the price on the high side of that figure. If a nice 222 from 1980 came on Craigslist, the selling price could be as high as $1000.00. The problem with the Seller is that he thinks his tractor is worth a lot more than that because it has been stored away, yes? There's nothing really unique about what's shown in the photo other than condition.

Let's say (for discussion purposes) that he only put 10 hours on it before parking it. Essentially, it's still a new tractor but he isn't going to command $5000.00 for it because it is not a 2011 unit. But for the Buyer who is thinking about buying a new machine, something like this could be a bargain at $2500.00 but only if he intends to keep it for the next 15 years and use it. The cost of ownership over that period would be only $167.00 per year and the tractor would still have residual value to someone else in 2026.

The true test is to put this tractor on e-Bay for 99 cents and no reserve to see what happens. I can tell you right now that the Seller would not be happy with the hammer price. The tractor will be primarily judged by the model year and not by what it would cost to buy something equal in condition. Hopefully for him, it's a 224 because in the HP crazy world we live in, a 220 or 222 would have considerable less appeal to the uninformed.

#4 ·
If it turns out to be a 224 and its as clean as he says I will be pretty happy. I found a real nice 222 Ingersoll with all Ingersoll stickers and hood emblem nearby also, I would have bought it but the owner wanted $1500.00. Hoping to find low hour unit. My 446 is still getting back together slowly so as the snow starts I might just pick up a runner and take my time in the garage. I move snow for the most part and my snowcaster is a 48", can get a 38" if I needed one.

#5 ·
I dont think the seller is too proud, he just considers its condition and what you could buy at Home Depot like most folks who dont have any other interest in this brand. Might turn out to be my next tractor. I am very close to getting my 446 back to work but, I hate to miss a chance to have another gas tank to fill.

#6 ·
Bushman: I think if its a 224 around $650 and if it's a 222 or 220 I think a little under $600. If it is an all original 224 and was never used for all intensive purposes, perhaps as much as $800 would be fair. If you get it I would get some recommendations from the mechanics here before you fire it up after sitting all those years. JMHO
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

#7 ·
The Seller is up against a huge problem. The average person has absolutely no clue when it comes to the difference between a LT and a GT. To them, it's a lawnmower you ride on. His machine will be compared PRICE-WISE to what's on offer at Lowe's, HD, ACE and Sears. Their machines are brand new and come with a warranty. His machine does not. Their machines are supported locally by John Deere, Cub Cadet or others. His machine probably has no local support because Ingersoll dealers are few and far between. It's a super-tough sell for him to convince some guy to part with cash that equals what he would have to pay at a big box store. How does he explain that to his wife? She will think he's nuts and rip his ears off everyday over the deal. All of this plays to your advantage.

#8 ·
Hydriv said:
The Seller is up against a huge problem. The average person has absolutely no clue when it comes to the difference between a LT and a GT... How does he explain that to his wife? She will think he's nuts and rip his ears off everyday over the deal.
Ha! You know my wife? Everytime I mention my tractors, she insists on informing me they are lawn mowers.

Anywho, It's about what the market will bear and what it is worth to YOU. I just posted pictures of a rough 444 I bought for 200 bucks. It has no engine, but the project with my dad makes up the difference to me.

#9 ·
The decaling, fenders and footrests are consistent with the 1980-1983 production years. I can't tell too much else from the photo except to notice that the RH gage wheel on the deck is 6" which would indicate a 48" cut and would most likely be sold on a 224. Interesting that the gage wheel is installed wrong side of the axle bracket, would they have been replaced if the unit was low hours?

Bob

#10 ·
Wow, thats a keen eye. Thats good knowledge to go into the negotiation with. I will be able to sniff out a rebuilt unit right away paintwise. Really can not say for sure if this is a true low usage unit or a rebuilt from the pictures or from the owners description, going to have to see about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.