Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Group, I thought I would put up some pictures of the recent modifications I made to my Ingersoll 4018. I added a 3-point hitch, Selector valve and Vassar rear scrapper blade. The selector valve was a learning experience. I never realized there were 2 hydraulic shops within 10 miles of my house. I spent a lot of time traveling back and forth learning about fittings etc. I am glad it is plumbed, all that is left is drilling and mounting the valve and figuring a way to add weight to the front of the tractor that will not interfere with the snow caster. Once I get my lawn cleaned and fertilized my next project is going to be either the snow cab or mounting the 12 volt JD fertilizer spreader I bought this past winter on craigslist to the back of the tractor.
Mark

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
Re: Addition of Vassar Scraper Blade, Selector Valve & 3-poi

I think you have the newest Ingy on the forum. :thumbsup:

The 3 point hitch looks pretty sweet. If that were mine I might build a sheet metal cover for the selector valve so you couldn't see it. Something that follows the lines of the fenders but recessed a few inches.

Is the selector valve electronic?

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts

Mark: Glad you survived the winter. :usa: :usa: :usa: Last time we talked you were really concerned about the ice buildup on the roofs. Nice job you did. Like that rear blade. Are you going to do some material grading or is it for the slushy stuff? Man that tractor looks nice in those pics!
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the compliments all, Most of the blades use will be on that white stuff we had so much of this past winter. My daughter just purchased a home last week and my son-in-law asked me if I will help him put a lawn in this fall. I am going to see if I can locate a cheap trailer and will probally be using the blade to help him put his lawn in.

I could not resist trying the blade today, I backed slowly down a small grade were I throw my grass clipping I figured I would scrape the area and try the blade. Well the front wheels came up and stayed up about 12 inches. I hurried and lowered the blade and slowly pulled forward and got off the hill. That was the end of using the blade until I get some weight in the front.

Rich, The night we had that rain and thawing with 3 feet of snow on the roof and 14 inch ice dams I woke up about 2am and heard water dripping. I went into the spare bedroom we use for the grandchildren were I heard the dripping and the light fixture was full of water. I took the globe down and emptied it, standing on a soaked rug and shined a light on the ceiling and said ohhhhhhhhhhh fkkkkkkkk. Water was just pouring in. I had to get a trash can from outside and put it in the room and the area of the ceiling that looked to be the wettest I hit with a hammer to make a drain hole in it. It looked like a garden hose was on in the attic. I called the insurance company the next morning and they ok'd me hiring someone to shovel the roof off. The roofer broke the ice dams using the claw on their hammers and mangled my new (4 year old) seamless gutters. My roof is about 4 years old and when the roof was installed code dictates 3 feet of ice and water around the perimeter, I paid extra and had them double the perimeter of ice and water to 6 feet. It was about 6 feet up from the facia were the water came in. I have to get a contractor here soon to replace the gutters, I am going to refinish the ceiling myself to reclaim some of my deductable. The insurance company was great with an allowance about replacing and / or repairing what was damaged. I probally will not be as happy with them when my policy is renewed.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Snotrocket said:
I think you have the newest Ingy on the forum. :thumbsup:

The 3 point hitch looks pretty sweet. If that were mine I might build a sheet metal cover for the selector valve so you couldn't see it. Something that follows the lines of the fenders but recessed a few inches.

Is the selector valve electronic?
The Selector Valve is the one that has been recommended and used by several members. It is not electronic, the wires that are showing in the pictures are part of the factory harness. I think they go to the kill switch on the bottom of the seat. I purchased the valve through:

http://www.surpluscenter.com
9-6133 ……3/8" NPT 20 GPM Prince Selector Valve 55.95

I purchased the hitch used locally; the seller said the cylinder needed new seals. When I went to rebuild it the cylinder needed much more then new seals. A hydraulic shop in Wrentham, MA machined a new shaft and piston for the cylinder, then everything was sent out to be chromed. It was a pricey rebuild, the person that sold me the hitch was great about it when I discussed what the cylinder rebuild was going to cost. He offered to give me the VASSAR scraper blade as compensation for the expensive cylinder rebuild. We worked a deal were I paid him a discounted price for the blade. I paid a bit more then I wanted to for the setup and he sold it for a bit less then he wanted. It was nice to do business with someone that wanted to make things right, there are not many like that out there.

There is a decorative plate that covers the area were the selector valve is mounted, if you look closely at the pictures showing the selector valve you will see the mounting holes for the decorative plate. Once I drill out the plate and mount the valve to it and install the plate the valve will not show. All that will be seen is the knob to switch circuits and a couple of stainless mounting screws. I will post pictures once it is finished.

As far as the newest Ingy on the forum I wish I had an older one, It would have left more money in my pocket. I looked for an entire summer for a new tractor after giving my Craftsman Custom 10e to my son. I looked in the paper and bulletin boards in town for a used tractor and could not find a quality "garden tractor", there were plenty of those stamped frame tractors around. I never even thought of or looked at craigslist before. As a result I ended up buying a new 4018 and have been very happy with it.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts

Mark:Sorry to hear about the water damage.
It will be nice to have that tractor to do the son in laws lawn. When I built my house (16 years ago) I had to rent a bobcat and stockpile the soil until all work was complete. I didn't want to lose the valuable topsoil. In the end I had a pay loader scoop it up from the stock pile and spread it out for me and smooth it out. I ended up with a nice deep top soil profile. The rocks seem to grow out of the soil and I built a sifter to put the mix of rock and soil through after raking it out many times.
The watering is critical for the first few weeks and I also used a starter fertilizer. I bought a lot of hose, Ys and sprinklers. Seed selection for your specific conditions is important. You may also want to test the soil to see if it is deficient in any nutrients. I ended up with a very nice lawn to this day.

·
Registered
568 Posts

markgru02919 said:
As far as the newest Ingy on the forum I wish I had an older one, It would have left more money in my pocket. I looked for an entire summer for a new tractor after giving my Craftsman Custom 10e to my son. I looked in the paper and bulletin boards in town for a used tractor and could not find a quality "garden tractor", there were plenty of those stamped frame tractors around. I never even thought of or looked at craigslist before. As a result I ended up buying a new 4018 and have been very happy with it.
Mark, if it's any consolation, look at it this way. Yeah, it costs almost as much as a cheap new car, but a car will eventually need replaced. The tractor, on the other hand, will likely be the last one you'll ever have to buy. And if it weren't for guys like you buying the new tractors, Ingersoll wouldn't be in business...and the rest of us wouldn't be able to get new parts for our old Cases. Very nice machine you have there, and that blade looks very well made.
John

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks John, The blade is a strong well built blade, I may sell it and buy a lighter blade like a Brinly unless I can find a solution to adding counterweight in the front that will not interfer with the snow caster. Even on level ground the blade wants to lift up the front of the tractor, the blade weights about 100-120lbs. I have a brochure on teh blade, VASSAR's website leaves much to be desired and you cannot read there product info on the blade. I will scan my copy and post it over the next few days.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts

markgru02919 said:
Thanks John, The blade is a strong well built blade, I may sell it and buy a lighter blade like a Brinly unless I can find a solution to adding counterweight in the front that will not interfer with the snow caster. Even on level ground the blade wants to lift up the front of the tractor, the blade weights about 100-120lbs. I have a brochure on teh blade, VASSAR's website leaves much to be desired and you cannot read there product info on the blade. I will scan my copy and post it over the next few days.
Mark: The snow caster weighs at least 200lbs (At least in my mind it does because I horsed one into my pickup by hand). Why don't you pop in on the GT without the belt and see how it fares against the blade.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

The snow caster does not weigh 200 pounds when it is sitting on the driveway and blowing snow. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

This is not only about counterweighting the back blade but also about maintaining steering control. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts

Hydriv said:
The snow caster does not weigh 200 pounds when it is sitting on the driveway and blowing snow. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
This is not only about counter weighting the back blade but also about maintaining steering control. :thumbsup:
Tom: I was thinking of ByCo's setup.gallery/image_page.php?album_id=43&image_id=175 I thought he has a very heavy blade on the back with the snow caster up front. Also Brian Hildreth, Salem Power, had a heavy prototype rear blade on a 4020? GT with only a standard blade up front. He did say he was going to lighten it up, (this one is 210 lbs.)
I didn't see any extra weights besides rear wheel weights on these tractors. I was also thinking of course of the selector valve so Mark can pick and choose which implement he wants to lift or operate during work.
If what I suggested doesn't make sense, Mark please disregard and I apologize to you if I gave bad advice.
PS ByCo and Brian hope you don't mind I posted your GTs

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

InTroubleAlltheTime said:
markgru02919 said:
Mark: The snow caster weighs at least 200lbs (At least in my mind it does because I horsed one into my pickup by hand). Why don't you pop in on the GT without the belt and see how it fares against the blade.
Hi Rich, That was my thinking also; the snow caster would be an ideal counterweight to the scraper blade. Then one of the group moderators pointed out to me once I put the snow caster into the float position I lose the counterweight. The float would allow the front to lift as the snow caster sits on the ground. I am not sure how much counterweight I am going to need. One of the thoughts I had was to try to find some Nautilus style weights, the rectangular ones used on exercise equipment and stacking a few of them together and laying them over the tractor frame between the hood hinges and the electric PTO. I thought for mounting to use some eyebolts and a small turn buckle and crank them down tight. In addition I thought of picking up a spare set of front tires and adding ballast to them. The problem is I cannot find steel rectangular weights. I looked at a couple of home exercise sets on craigs list and they all had sand filled plastic weights. My next option would be to find some scrape plate steel something about 1-2 inches thick. When I worked at Electric Boat as a welder there was plenty of that around. I am not sure were I could find some today, I am going to have to start investigating were to purchase some. Another thought I had was some black pipe and fill it with some lead shotgun shot. I have 25lbs from when I use to reload but I do not think 25lbs is going to be enough and I am not sure how much I could put into a length of black pipe. The shot I have is large so I would have to melt it down with a torch to fit as much as possible in the pipe and eliminate any air spaces from the large shot. I was also wondering if I could put the lead shot in the spare set of tires in place of window washer fluid. One problem solved and another turns up. I am going to post these problems on the group and see if anyone else has come up with a solution.
Mark

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

InTroubleAlltheTime said:
Hydriv said:
This is not only about counter weighting the back blade but also about maintaining steering control. :thumbsup:
Tom: I was thinking of ByCo's setup.gallery/image_page.php?album_id=43&image_id=175 I thought he has a very heavy blade on the back with the snow caster up front. Also Brian Hildreth, Salem Power, had a heavy prototype rear blade on a 4020? GT with only a standard blade up front. He did say he was going to lighten it up, (this one is 210 lbs.)
I didn't see any extra weights besides rear wheel weights on these tractors. I was also thinking of course of the selector valve so Mark can pick and choose which implement he wants to lift or operate during work.
If what I suggested doesn't make sense, Mark please disregard and I apologize to you if I gave bad advice.
PS ByCo and Brian hope you don't mind I posted your GTs

Wow, That is a heavy looking blade. I find it amazing and hard to comprehend that a 3-point hitch's hydraulic cylinder has enough strength to lift an implement off the ground into the air when it is extending 3-5 feet beyond the cylinder.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Rich, I don't mind at all.

My blade is mounted to the sleeve hitch which I believe has it closer to the tractor than a 3pt would be. The blade itself is also pretty short coupled, so short it can't be turned around to back blade with. :sad: The PO built a cylinder on to the back of the tractor that he connected to the sleeve hitch to raise and lower it independent of the mid/front mount. He added a seperate spool valve and ran it off of the rear PTO so there were hoses running all over the place. :crazy:

ByCo

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

ByCo said:
Rich, I don't mind at all.

My blade is mounted to the sleeve hitch which I believe has it closer to the tractor than a 3pt would be. The blade itself is also pretty short coupled, so short it can't be turned around to back blade with. :sad: The PO built a cylinder on to the back of the tractor that he connected to the sleeve hitch to raise and lower it independent of the mid/front mount. He added a seperate spool valve and ran it off of the rear PTO so there were hoses running all over the place. :crazy:

ByCo
ByCo,
Are you using any counterweight with the blade?
Mark

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

markgru02919 said:
My next option would be to find some scrape plate steel something about 1-2 inches thick.
How about 2" square tubing cut to length and filled with concrete? You could easily put an eyebolt at each end for securing them in place.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Just the snowblower in the winter, I slapped together a carry-all type of thing using a spare mule drive that I use for counter weight in the summer. Other than the tings you've already thought of I'm afraid I can't be much help.

ByCo

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts

Tom: I think I understand what your saying-in down position the front wheels may get lift before the weight of the snowblower is felt.
ByCo: Thanks for the post. Understand. The closer to the GT, the less the weight is "felt".
Mark: A while back someone sent me an E mail with a description of the additon of homemade front wheel weights. I think it added 75lbs. total. I can ask that person if he has no problem if I forward the E mail to you if you think you may go in this direction. Personally, I don't know however, if there is any downside to doing this.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.