Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am new here so I don't know about previos threads. I went to tractor cupid forum and it is just a listing of who bought what. Don't get me wrong I apreciate the trouble someone has gone through to link all the sales. I like to look at the craigs list adds as much as the next guy but there shoud be a separate forum for it.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
animalsonly said:
I am new here so I don't know about previos threads. I went to tractor cupid forum and it is just a listing of who bought what. Don't get me wrong I apreciate the trouble someone has gone through to link all the sales. I like to look at the craigs list adds as much as the next guy but there shoud be a separate forum for it.
While I agree with you that this forum seems somewhat top-heavy with C/L ads at times, when you think about it..... ADMIN has no real control over it. Suppose for a second that we did create a separate forum for such ads. Would that change suddenly cause other members to post problems with their tractors in this forum? I don't think so. After all, there is nothing stopping those with tractor problems from starting a thread about such problems on this forum at any time. ADMIN cannot force the members to come forward with tractor problems. Our job is to provide the membership with a forum where all issues concerning Colt, Case and ingersoll tractors can be discussed, preferably in ONE spot on the site so member don't have to go jumping around looking for the main action.

We are constantly receptive to suggestions that may improve the site but let me reassure you that this subject is not new and it was hotly discussed between Chuck and myself months before we took the forum live at the beginning of this year. On Chuck's former site, he had a separate forum for such listings and he fought for the same thing here but I convinced him to go this route. So, if anyone is to blame, it's me. The thing is, Chuck has come around to my way of thinking on this issue and as far as I know.....his mindset has not changed. Jack is on board with the current structure as well. The listings are clearly marked in the subject line and no one is required to read them. It is a very simple matter to skip over them if you wish. If there was a separate forum for them, then you could just skip over that and come to this one only. But if there was zero going on in this forum due to lack of member input about tractor problems, then you would still have nothing to read, correct?

I know that the C/L listings seem to be somewhat redundant but we began this site with a view to bring something totally different to the community. We wanted this site to focus on teaching the membership about every aspect of these tractors so that when they saw one somewhere, they would have a better idea as to what they were looking at. The constant parade of C/L listings often reveal nuggets of information concerning the changes in how the tractors were constructed over the years. Any who thinks that all 444's were created equal has a lot to learn and the same applies to any other model put out by Case. We are ALL learning more and more about these tractors as more and more of them are brought into the clear light of day and we get to inspect them closely. There isn't a single person out there that knows everything there is to know about these tractors. I have yet to speak with a serious aficionado that has told me he or she does not continue to learn new things all the time.

It's no secret that there are several other Case-oriented forums out there. I've been a member of every one of them and I'm still a member of several of them. This site came about as a result of everything that Jack, Chuck and I learned on those other forums. We kept the things we liked and changed the things we disliked. While I am highly biased, it is my belief that YOU will learn more about these tractors HERE....much faster..... and with more accuracy..... then you will on any other site out there. That statement was not made to take anything away from some of the members of those other forums because many of those members are also members here. If you go to our members list (link at top of this page), the first 15 or so members have "join dates" that precede January 3rd of this year. These are all people people that I personally invited to join here because of my high regard for the knowledge and help they bring to this community. Some of those people are highly active on one or more of the other Case forums out there too but most of them have expressed their preference for how this site is structured.

We are just 147 days old, as of today. And yet, we are 20 members shy of the 800 mark and have almost 17,000 posts so far and that works out to an average of 115 per day....every day. The Yahoo site that has been in existence since 1998 is averaging less than 40 per day in spite of their claim of over 5000 members. Are WE perfect? No we are not. But you can count on Chuck, Jack and I to do our level best to continue making this site to be the best site on the internet when it comes to Colt, Case and Ingersoll information.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
One of the things that sets this site apart from forums such as MTF, is the speed in which members receive answers to their questions and the accuracy of the information dispensed.

While MTF is a highly successful site overall, there are far too many threads on it like this one. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=191457

The OP...bubbawithabolens asked a question on the 27th and after 3 days and 7 replies, he is worse off than when he came there. The advice given by this member is so bizarre, it is laughable. And yet no one has really taken him to task over it and straightened things that he said out.

racohoon
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 45165
Re: case 222 hydrodrive questions
Kohler Command will work, however you will have to buy all the attachments that were produced specifically for the Command series motors. If you hook up an attachment prior to like 1985 or so it will run backwards from what I have been told.

Anyone else have any ideas on proceeding with the Command motor??

DO NOT HOOK UP A DRILL TO THE PUMP!!! If you so much as scratch the shaft on the pump you will never get the "Love Joy" coupler on the shaft.
If you must then go ahead, you can always grind the nicks/scratches out of the shaft; but I would never trust it to hold the love joy in place. I also do not believe the hydraulics will function correctly or will at the very least be extremely slow thus making you believe there is a problem with the system. You can buy a love joy coupler on e-bay for the K-series motors. I do not know if it is the same for the Command motor or not. Your best bet would be to install either a K301/12hp or a K321/14hp Kohler and keep it original. Then you know what you have plus all the attachments will work correctly.

The notion that installing a Kohler Command V-twin into a 3 digit Case or Ingersoll means that you MUST get attachments designed for 4 digit tractors is absurd.

The notion that getting a scratch on the input shaft of the pump will stop a LoveJoy coupler half from being installed or that it will affect how well the Lovejoy will hold on that shaft is equally absurd.

MTF is not the only Case forum out there that has poorly informed members dispensing erroneous advice. I am not saying that it won't happen here but what I can say is that if it did happen, it would be corrected within the hour, if not sooner.

Lastly, just because you are a member of this site, that does not prohibit you from being a member of other sites at the same time. I have no problem with that at all. My position is this. You are an adult and you have a brain in your head. Go join other sites and read them for awhile. Compare the QUALITY of information dispensed on those sites to what you see on this site and then come to your own conclusions as to which site is the best one to frequent most often.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I agree with Tom that is unlikely to cause much damage to a pump shaft to hook a drill to it. I do believe that it is a bad idea. Pump shafts on Case GT are either 1/2" or 9/16". This means that you would need a good sized drill. Anyone that has ever used a powerfull 1/2" or 3/4" drill knows that it can be a handfull. As you apply pressure to the pump to test it the drill is going to be impossible to hold. Gregg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.