Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I just purchased my FIRST Case tractor!
It is a 1983-222 that has been neglected.
Mechanically, I think it is very good. Hydraulic lift works well.
It looks like it has sat outside for years.
So, wish me luck and you can be sure I'll be leaning on you guys during the restoration.
I wish I could attach photos but I cannot seem to get an account on photobucket.
:canada:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Congratulations Ariena on the new tractor! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Glad it found a good home! :canada: :canada: :canada: The 222 is a fine GT. Look forward to following the restoration and hope I can lend some help too.
Can't wait to see the pics! :thumbup:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've got two 444's that most people would have junked/parted out. A bit of diligence and perserverance will go a long way. Keep hanging in there with it, and it will serve you well for many years. Glad to hear another got saved from the scrapyard/dismantlers. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Ariena: That 222 looks very nice. Not bad at all. :thumbup: I think you did very well. :usa: :usa: :usa: The all Power Red is my favorite style. If you take a peek in my album you'll see my 224 which looks very similar to your 222.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
877 Posts
Whoa!!!, Just just got to see the pictures, that's a nice lookin' tractor! I apologize for the scrapyard comment. :oops: Wished mine looked that good. Great find! :thumbup: I'm gonna have to talk to my IT people at work so my computer doesn't block out the pics on the posts here. When you said it was just sitting outside for a while I expected it to be rusted up BAD like it would be here. Leave something outside around here for two years without taking care of it and one just ends up with a pile of ferric oxide. Excellent find, I'm sure you will enjoy it!. :cool:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, as you know, this is my first tractor. So, I have a several of fundamental questions that I can't find the answers to in the technical section.

Are the electrical components such as the coil, condenser, spark plug wire etc. compatible with automotive components. That is, can I just buy generic parts from NAPA or another retailer?

Also, the ohm reading on the coil is less than 4.0. Should I replace the coil or is this normal for a 222? How does one test the condenser if the coil is bad?

Are these machines prone to vibration? Mine seems to want to shake the tin off. (Engine mounts are tight).

Am I right in assuming the brake is for parking only? It doesn't seem to stop very well when applied. How do I adjust the brake? It doesn't even seem to be useful as a parking brake.

Another thing, the battery is fully charged, but when it is running I don't get a charging rate reading from my meter. (My meter is fine thank you).

If you can help out, your time and efforts are appreciated.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Ariena said:
Well, as you know, this is my first tractor. So, I have a several of fundamental questions that I can't find the answers to in the technical section.

Are the electrical components such as the coil, condenser, spark plug wire etc. compatible with automotive components. That is, can I just buy generic parts from NAPA or another retailer?

On the off-chance that you actually need a coil, NAPA can sell you an OEM Kohler coil or they also have two Bosch coils that are true 12 volt models. If you want the part numbers, I can give you those. NAPA also has just about every Kohler engine part you could possibly need. Air filters, condensers, points, plugs, pistons, rods, cranks, gaskets, bearings etc. However, rebuild kits from e-Bay are often the best choice.

Also, the ohm reading on the coil is less than 4.0. Should I replace the coil or is this normal for a 222? How does one test the condenser if the coil is bad? No one bothers to test a condenser. If your points need replacing, then you automatically replace the condenser at the same time. As for the coil, there is an electrical book in the Service Manual section that gives the resistance figures.

Are these machines prone to vibration? Mine seems to want to shake the tin off. (Engine mounts are tight). All single cylinder engine vibrate. Your isolation pucks may be worn out or maybe you are just not accustomed to that much vibration and it simply appears excessive. The engine should smooth out once you are off idle.

Am I right in assuming the brake is for parking only? It doesn't seem to stop very well when applied. How do I adjust the brake? It doesn't even seem to be useful as a parking brake. It is just a parking brake. However, they do wear out and need to be relined. The adjustment instructions are found in the Op Manual for your particular serial number.

Another thing, the battery is fully charged, but when it is running I don't get a charging rate reading from my meter. (My meter is fine thank you). A fully charged battery doesn't need any further charging. Therefore, the alternator has no need to put out any juice and the ammeter needle will sit on the ZERO mark.

If you can help out, your time and efforts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm trying to remove the hex needle seat inside the carburetor. I seem to have no room to get a wrench or socket on it because of the carburetor body. It is just too tight a space.

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.