Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought another 444 Friday. '76 this time. Told Rich about this one at Dover Pa. show earlier. Guy wanted $100, but ended up selling it for $80. It has issues but, it does run. Will post pics later. I will probably have a million questions about this one also. Right now, I've got to do a search to find hyd. oil level. Dipstick is missing from hyd. resivior, resivoir, ...-tank! Has electric clutch installation gone bad on it. I can set this one up for pushing snow though. Steering seems good and tight but has a lot of axle wobble. That can be fixed though. seat was trash, installed less trashy seat that was removed from other 444 for now. Steering wheel was broke but "fixed" that. J-B weld and hose clamps, what a way to go!

·
Garden Tractor Nerd
359 Posts
Billygoat said:
Dipstick is missing from hyd. resivior, resivoir, ...-tank!
Does any of the Case of even Ingersoll tractors have a dipstick in the Hydro. Res.? Just curious. My '73 222 doesn't. The Manual doesn't reference any and the Parts publication doesn't show any.

Nice find Billygoat. $80. That was layin' on the counter next to the cookie jar wasn't it? :lol:

Kenneth :geek:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the correct oil level for the metal tanked tractors in "Timely Tips", page 27. poly tanks didn't have dipstick as the level is not as critical as metal tank. I will make a dipstick that I can use for checking the oil level. I really don't see that it is necessary to have the dipstick in the tank all the time. Now if I can remember where I put it between checks, I will be ok :sidelaugh:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Billygoat said:
Found the correct oil level for the metal tanked tractors in "Timely Tips", page 27. poly tanks didn't have dipstick as the level is not as critical as metal tank. I will make a dipstick that I can use for checking the oil level. I really don't see that it is necessary to have the dipstick in the tank all the time. Now if I can remember where I put it between checks, I will be ok :sidelaugh:
BG I hit thank you instead of quote first shot! :crazy: LOL Congratulations, very glad for you, especially at that great price. Looking forward to the restoration, hope we can all lend a hand. My 446 has a label, in my case maintain level, 5"-6" below cap. I use a spotless clean metal measuring tape to check level. Good luck with it!
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to actually drive it yesterday! So far I replaced a bad spark plug wire, replaced the fuel pump with the one I took off my 74-444,( bought new one for that tractor already) found the metal type of fuel pump requires a thicker gasket than the plastic ones. Made a gasket from the back of an old memo pad. Changed the engine oil, and had to add a qt. of 15w-40 to hydraulic tank. Rebuilt carb. gapped plug. It's running pretty good now. With travel lever in full forward, the relief was lifting and bogging down the engine some. Found retaining snap ring missing on spool, causing it to travel too far and blocking oil flow. Installed snap ring and adjusted linkage, works fine. Found the S/G has a smaller diameter pulley than factory, and it's for a 1/2" belt. Will have to get shorter belt to get rid of mickey mouse tightening arrangement I have now. I'm gonna adjust the valves also as the ACR doesn't seem to be doing it's job. The engine turns over rather hard with the plug in and blows a lot of air out when cranking without plug. That could be why S/G pulley is smaller, to give the starter a little more advantage. Overall, for $80 + $9 for a belt & $8 for a carb rebuild kit, few hours of my time, I'm kinda happy with it. Oh yeah, I replaced the real trashy seat with the kinda trashy seat from the other 444. That seat almost hit the dumpster too. Glad I saved it for now. :cool:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Billygoat said:
Don't be overcome by it's beauty! :sidelaugh:

BG, Don't worry about the beauty or lack therof! We all know what they're made of. As for the seat? Isn't there anyone in your area that reupholsters? I had a guy do a great job on two of mine.
Regards,
Nolan

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The original seat pan was pretty much a pile of rust. This thing sat outside idle for almost two years. Here on Delmarva the salt in the air from being between the Atlantic and the Chesapeake Bay just eats at any neglect on metal. Once I get the other 444 done, I'll start on this one. The other will need a new seat also. Are correct new seats still available from Eastman, or will I have to go aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
gator_rider2 said:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntt=seat&D=seat&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallp

Seats
Thanks Gator

Model v 250 is the one I got.
:headscratcher: :headscratcher: $79 in Saskatchewan and $39 South of the border :headscratcher:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it weren't for bad luck! Checked the valve lash today, was good. Must be problem with ACR will have to pull apart to check. It WAS runable, but now-NO. 12 year old grandson was helping me putting breather back together. To him the arm for governor was in the way so he pulled back on it-broke off the tab on the governor shaft. I certainly couldn't get upset, he didn't know and was just trying to help. Didn't even bother to tell him what he did. I'll put the fresh rebuilt engine from the other 444 in there for now. Nice to have a back-up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.