Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done of the 446, so I’m going to move on to the snocaster for the 224.
This snocaster was sitting uoutside, along with the tractor, for about 5 years, before I got it. So every thing is seized. The little bit I’ve looked at it, nothing moved. So will see if I can get it operating, and if so, the mower deck will come off the 224 and snocaster will go on. Then the next thing to do, is a quick fix to the mower deck. Mowing will be here before you know it. Hehe.
So hopefully next week I’ll get the caster on the bench and begin. NO painting on this one.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got most things loose today but needs a bit more work. Auger moves. It needs a lot of lube here and there. Going to clean out auger tube. Full of dirt, same as the other one. And I’ll fill it with oil till it starts to run out either end. And will pack bearings. The chute and universal for the chute crank were not stuck. But need lubing. Any way, it’s a start.

Noel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Doesn’t matter how much room you have, there never seems to be enough room. Hehe. But, a person does gather more junk if ya have the room, for some reason.

Noel
That is the truth. I got a free 10x16 shed and thought this is great!! a place to story my tractors. Well that got annoying moving all the tractors every time I needed to cut the grass. so I got a 10x15 shelerlogic. I thought a place to store the tractors and use the shed as a workshop. Then I got a second 10x15 shelter logic to store my stuff and I am useing my wife’s grandfathers shed to work on my tractors..

someday maybe I will get organized and set up the little 10x16 shed as a tractor work shop.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little more done today. Auger is out. Cleaned the dirt out of the auger tube. Packed grease in the bearings. After I got the auger out I was able to get the chain apart. Chain is rusty and very stiff. I have another old chain so we’ll see if the rusty chain will work out. If not may use the other old one. Still have one stuck pulley yet.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More done today. It’s coming along good. All seized parts seem to be working good. Will see how it goes when working. It may not get much use, any way. Why buy new parts if ya don’t need them. I like to fix things. I will do what I can before I buy parts. Used or new. Any way. That’s just me, learned from my father.
Have a good day members.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gear oil in the auger tube. New parts so far are the connector link and a cotter pin. Which I had. Kinda hard to fix or make those parts.
All the parts I’m pointing to were seized.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Just a little tidbit. A couple times per year I put some chainsaw bar and chain oil on the chain of my caster. It sticks to the chain pretty well and doesn't sling off easily. Doing this at the end of the season prevents it from getting stiff while sitting.

propane - it wouldn't fix that chain though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a little tidbit. A couple times per year I put some chainsaw bar and chain oil on the chain of my caster. It sticks to the chain pretty well and doesn't sling off easily. Doing this at the end of the season prevents it from getting stiff while sitting.

propane - it wouldn't fix that chain though.
That’s what I do, use chainsaw bar oil. I use that for a lot of things I work on, even undercoating my truck.

Noel

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So did a little painting, somebody was wanting me to paint. Any way, the caster only had one homemade skid on it. Talked with the fella that I buy small engine stuff from and he could fix me up with skids. I guess most skids are 3” centre to centre for the bolt pattern. For some reason Case casters are 3 3/8” centre to centre, so would have to modify some thing. Then I figured, why buy skids, I could make one similar to the other homemade one. So that’s what I did. Found some old metal and made one. Have to adjust them once the caster is on the tractor.
The other thing I did was was cut another notch in the chute so it will turn farther each way. Did that to the other caster on the 446 too.
And finish putting other stuff back on, so it’s basically done now.
Also got the 1/2 link out out the chain and it’s adjusted good now, with lots of room to adjust it when needed.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There now, another Case project done. Got the mower off and snocaster put on the Case 224. Every thing works. So that completes the snow fleet for this year. Well not quite, still have chains and maybe weight to put on the 224 yet.
Any way, next thing to work on is when one of the any 5 snow removal machines breaks down. And that could be on the first snow fall.

Noel

Attachments

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,332 Posts
There now, another Case project done. Got the mower off and snocaster put on the Case 224. Every thing works. So that completes the snow fleet for this year. Well not quite, still have chains and maybe weight to put on the 224 yet.
Any way, next thing to work on is when one of the any 5 snow removal machines breaks down. And that could be on the first snow fall.

Noel
Nice tractors, now a cab like the Ford has would keep the wind off you!

Keep the Peace
Harry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts