Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a J-32 wood splitter. It says that I should lower it onto a stump while I am using it. Why? Do I really have to?

I had it on an old 446, that someone here now owns, and it used to make it tip backwards. Even with a pair of wheel weights bolted to front. I could understand using a log or some cribbing under it then. But do I have to block it up while I am using it on my 7020? There might be a good reason that I am just not aware of.

I split about 20 or so 24" logs with it while it was in the raised position with no problems.

I look forward to your opinions.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'm not sure which splitter you're talking about but if it is the one that mounts on a 3 pt then having some rear support would take the stress off the hitch when you put heavy logs on it. I found that the 3 pt on my 6018 does have its limits when used with a backhoe though that's probably a lot more stress than the splitter would put on it. If it were mine I'd probably just weld on a simple adjustable leg on the rear to hold it at a desirable height.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.