Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on removing this love joy? I’ve tried prying, soaked it in like 3 cans of kroil, bought mini pry bars for it. My little 2 jaw puller is a little too thick so fit under it. I could grind it down of course since it’s like an $8 puller, but if there is something else I can do that has worked for someone else if you could let me know that would be great thanks. The only thing I haven’t done is pulled out the air hammer. Thanks for your time
-cody

Attachments

'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,079 Posts
my $.02, since I have not dealt with that one.. The pump shaft has nice bevel on it and if you got a brass punch, or some really hard wood, I would not be afraid to give the end of that pump shaft a sharp whack to see if that might break it loose. Of course make sure BOTH of the set screws are out of the coupler.

As for Brass I checked Horror freight and I don't think this hammer would fit in there: 2 lb. Hickory Handle Brass Hammer

But, for the $4 I could see using something like this, if it REALLY is brass, as a punch.. 1/4 in. Female Brass Industrial Coupler aka the pump and lovejoy are worth $$$$, if I destroy a $4 part to get it out, so be it.. And my and I bet alot of other guys 'punches' are scarps they have hanging around. My 'brass' stuff is left over scraps.

· Registered
375 Posts
yeah I’ve tried that. Unfortunately I haven’t had much luck
It helps if you use the "reply" function so that we know which comment you are replying to as it adds it as above in this reply.

Have you tried heat? Expanding the lovejoy with a torch should loosen it up.

· Administrator
6,560 Posts
Any tips on removing this love joy? I’ve tried prying, soaked it in like 3 cans of kroil, bought mini pry bars for it. My little 2 jaw puller is a little too thick so fit under it. I could grind it down of course since it’s like an $8 puller, but if there is something else I can do that has worked for someone else if you could let me know that would be great thanks. The only thing I haven’t done is pulled out the air hammer. Thanks for your time
-cody
You didn't mention,

You did loosen off the setscrew, right?

· Registered
8 Posts
-cody
When trying to remove an electric clutch from an engine shaft and a "frozen" pulley on a tapered shaft, I have had success applying PB Blaster and then using my air hammer tool to vibrate the dickens out of the pulley. The vibrations help move the lubricant into the shaft/pulley meeting surfaces and also helps break up any rust that may have things locked up. Here's a video demonstration of the principle:

The clutch I removed took about 20 minutes of air hammering on different points before it came free.

Hope this might help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts