Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would be leery about them not getting the name correct. If the name isn't correct, I would be wondering if the color is correct. On the other paint-"color similar"? I would just buy paint from a Case/IH dealer or have automotive paint mixed from an established paint code.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Billygoat said:
I would be leery about them not getting the name correct. If the name isn't correct, I would be wondering if the color is correct. On the other paint-"color similar"? I would just buy paint from a Case/IH dealer or have automotive paint mixed from an established paint code.
The "name thing" has been going on for a long time. I don't know where "Desert Sand" sprung from as a purported Case paint colour but I have an e-mail from J. I. Case that says they never used that phrase to describe any paint colour applied to their products. Desert Sand is an urban myth but several of the paint manufacturers have done a good job to perpetuate it. As BG pointed out, the main issue is whether the colour is reasonably correct. I use the term "reasonably" because I don't know if there is a benchmark out there to compare it to. Anyone who has been on this planet for awhile, knows that you have to be careful when you are applying colour to anything. As an example, wallpaper is manufactured in "runs", meaning that the factory "runs" X number of feet of that pattern and then the machinery is prepped to run a different pattern. Months may pass before the factory makes another run of the first wallpaper and it is possible that colour variances may take place between RUN A and RUN B. That's why all rolls of wallpaper disclose the "run" as part of the information printed on the label.

Case does not MAKE paint. They leave that job up to the paint manufacturers who get to bid on supplying Case with quarts, gallons, drums and yes... those little rattle cans. Case is a business that is cost-conscious and so it stands to reason that if one manufacturer shaves fifty cents per gallon off the price, they stand a good chance at being awarded the contract. However, their formulation of Desert Sunset might be slightly different than that of the previous supplier. This might be detectable in the right light when two identical tractors are side by side but have paint from two different manufacturers applied to them. Any experienced auto body shop painter will mix up a bit more paint then he needs for the job and he will spray the entire vehicle at one time. YES...... I know that really, really good shops are able to match a freshly painted door or fender to the rest of the car that has original paint providing that paint is still in good condition. But that is an art that most of you don't have. :lol:

We then move to the issue of paint choice. If you are conducting as true a restoration as this date will allow, then buying enamel from your local Case/IH dealer is the way to go. If you want to spend a lot more money to end up with an automotive quality finish, then having paint mixed at a body-shop supply house is an option. Case enamel with a hardener added will provide you with a very durable finish that is also quite glossy. That finish certainly would have been acceptable to the car buying public back in the sixties and seventies when the big 3 were still applying enamels.

I haven't used either of those paints but I'm sure that they are just as good as what you would get from a Case dealer. Today, information travels faster than it has ever travelled in the past. If you want to know about a certain product, you Google it. Pissed off people just love to vent on the internet but.......how do you know if the product was truly at fault or the whiner was the real problem? Buying the paint from your Case dealer brings a certain amount of comfort that will not be available to you with "the other guy" until after you apply his product and are delighted with the result.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I would recommend buying ONLY from your CaseIH dealer. I bought Ag Specialties "power white" for the rims and "Power White" from our CaseIH dealer. The Ag Specialties was much whiter in color and the CaseIH paint had more of a cream color to it. I had to respray my wheels because of the color difference. The CaseIH paint is better looking, but is more thin than most other paints so be careful when mixing other liquids in with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.