Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received what were supposed to be Sno-Hog tires from Northern Tools and they shipped me a Kenda brand tire. The tires look just like Sno-Hogs made by Carlise but the Kenda tire is made in China. I spoke with customer service at Northern and they told me they fulfill the Sno-Hog part number with tires from various vendors but they are willing to take them back at no cost to me. So, my question is does anyone have any knowledge of Kenda tires and, if so, do you believe them to be of equal quality to the Carlisles? I Googled them and it appears that they make a lot of bicycle and motorcycle tires but I have no idea whether they are a cheap Chinese knockoff or a quality tire made in China.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
There are tires and then........ there are tires. :lol:

As you know, I have been exposed to many years of motorcycle racing, mostly off road. Cheng Shin, Kenda are just two of the off-shore brands that you will find as OEM rubber on dirt bikes and quads. If I was racing at the PRO level, would I use either one? No. I would choose Metzler or Bridgestone or Dunlop because those companies do a lot of research in tread design, carcass design, rubber durometer and cross-section ratios to try and give the rider an edge over the competition. But if I was just out there in the field playing the mud with the boys, then running either of those brands wouldn't concern me too much. Kenda will celebrate their 50th Anniversary in 2012. Do you think that they would still be in existence today if they made crap? :sidelaugh:

http://kendatire.com/en/home/kenda-story.aspx

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a set of Kenda 80/20 tires on my on/off road dirtbike. The ride was not as good as the stock Dunlops, but the wear has been as good or better.

Hydriv said:
Kenda will celebrate their 50th Anniversary in 2012. Do you think that they would still be in existence today if they made crap? :sidelaugh:
Wal-mart was founded in 1962. (2012-1962 = 50years) Have you seen a major amount of quality products on the shelves at the local Wallworld lately?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
JSB Case said:
I have a set of Kenda 80/20 tires on my on/off road dirtbike. The ride was not as good as the stock Dunlops, but the wear has been as good or better.

Hydriv said:
Kenda will celebrate their 50th Anniversary in 2012. Do you think that they would still be in existence today if they made crap? :sidelaugh:
Wal-mart was founded in 1962. (2012-1962 = 50years) Have you seen a major amount of quality products on the shelves at the local Wallworld lately?
Apples and Oranges......

Walmart manufactures NOTHING. All they do is bring product in and see if it sells. If it doesn't, then they blow it out for cost or less and then try a different product. With many thousands of products in their 50,000 square foot stores, consumers manage to find enough stuff to buy to put Walmart into the #1 position of companies.

Your comparison does not compute. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hydrive, Cub Cadet started producing I. 1961 and look what they have become (after they were bought out) :sidelaugh:

I would get made in USA :usa: Carlise snow hogs and ditch those comunist made kendas.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
ljones said:
Hydrive, Cub Cadet started producing I. 1961 and look what they have become (after they were bought out) :sidelaugh:

I would get made in USA :usa: Carlise snow hogs and ditch those comunist made kendas.
What has your first statement got to do with whether Kenda tires are OK or not?

And why should Bart "ditch" the Kenda's? Do you have first-hand experience with Kenda's whereby you found them problematic? Or is all of this just A-typical American chest thumping in the belief that if it isn't made there, it is of lesser quality? On this site, we expect you to back up such statements with facts. Kindly provide sources that prove your statement.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have no experience with Kenda "tractor tires", but have had Kenda tires on my ATV's. They were not the best tires in my opinion, however they did the job.

For my job I deal with Carlisle's friction material plant and having dealt with them for the past 16+ years they're quality is superb as Carlisle is a highly quality driven company. I am running a set of their tires on my Grizzly 700 now and I like the Carlisle tires better than I liked the Kenda's I had on it. They are lighter and holding up much longer than the Kenda's did. Now having made this statement, ATV tires are used differently than tractor tires and have different demands that will be placed on them so my reasons for liking them may not be reasons that fit the needs of tractor tires. I know I abuse my ATV tires much more than most tractor tires are ever going to see.

Both Carlisle and Kenda tires will do the job. The question you have to answer is which one will make you happy? Kenda's in hand today, or wait about a week or so for what you actually ordered and paid for.

My rule of thumb is simple. If two items will do the job and one is American made, the other foreign made. I choose American made all day long. Oh and I never ever shop at WallyWorld :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'd have to go look,but I believe my Kubota has Kendra tires on it.If so ,I am quite happy with them.They are wearing very well,the front tires still have traces of those little "tittys" on them,and they are now 3 years old.

Maynard :canada:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
mjodrey said:
I'd have to go look,but I believe my Kubota has Kendra tires on it.If so ,I am quite happy with them.They are wearing very well,the front tires still have traces of those little "tittys" on them,and they are now 3 years old.
Maynard: What kind of Kubota do you have? I would like to see pictures including the titty's! :thumbsup: :usa: :canada: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
mjodrey said:
Maynard: What kind of Kubota do you have? I would like to see pictures including the titty's! :thumbsup: :usa: :canada: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
I suppose that it's only a matter of time before someone says that "little tittys" that were made in the USA are better than the "little tittys" made in China.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bart, for what its worth the father in law has kendas on his simplicity and he does fine in the snow, and dad has a set of snow hogs on a walk behind and he also does just fine without chains.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Rich,here is a photo of my Kubota.It is a 2008 GR2110 .It is powered by a 21hp diesel engine,and is all wheel drive.I built the grill guard,because there were none available for this model,and I wanted a little protection for the front.I don't think the "tittys" show up too well in the photo.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kenda tires are OEM on a growing number of lawn and garden equipment offerings. I dare say there most likely is no performance difference on L&G equipment. Take a look next time you shop for front tires at your local farm supply store where they were manufactured. Take a good look at your tires on the family car kids, and look see where they are made. And while your at it think about the parts on the family Truckster that are made in south east Asia and assembled here in the USA. Want to buy USA only? Ok I'm good with that but show me the proof or testing that demonstrates the Kenda quality is not as good and not a fifty year old quality comparison. Thats like saying cars made in Japan are not the same quality as USA cars because I owned a Toyota in 1960 and it was junk.

I am as *******, red white and blue, buy USA when possible. But lets face facts. There is very little manufactured in the good old USA these days when compared to fifty years ago. This attitude that if not USA it's junk is laughable. Typed on computers made in Asia, while sitting on a chair from China, dressed in clothing from Indonesia, drinking coffee from Brazil paid for by money borrowed from the Peoples Republic of China. Anybody using gasoline made from mid east crude oil. I hope not. Done an engine rebuild lately? Because I am about 99% certain the stuff is not USA other than the packaging. The leadership or lack there of in this country have sold us out. Ross was correct. It has been one big sucking sound. But it is what it is.

It's a good thing our brothers and sisters up in the frozen tundra we call Canada don't have the same attitude. They wouldn't be using Colt Case or Ingersoll tractors because they are all foreign made eh. Hey, come to think of it this web site isn't foreign now isn't it? Eh. Oh my goodness, Canadians buying foreign tractors and giving advice on them. May I suggest country of origin disclosed on all postings. Eh.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
mjodrey said:
Rich,here is a photo of my Kubota.It is a 2008 GR2110 .It is powered by a 21hp diesel engine,and is all wheel drive.I built the grill guard,because there were none available for this model,and I wanted a little protection for the front.I don't think the "tittys" show up too well in the photo.
Maynard: Thanks for posting. That's a nice looking tractor, diesel no less, sweet! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I was looking forward to the tittys but I always seem to have computer problems after I look at things like that! :usa: :canada: Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
bison2500 said:
It's a good thing our brothers and sisters up in the frozen tundra we call Canada don't have the same attitude. They wouldn't be using Colt Case or Ingersoll tractors because they are all foreign made eh. Hey, come to think of it this web site isn't foreign now isn't it? Eh. Oh my goodness, Canadians buying foreign tractors and giving advice on them. May I suggest country of origin disclosed on all postings. Eh.
Geez,I live in a frozen tundra? :mrgreen: I did not realise that,as there is no snow what so ever on the ground here.And I was tracking mud in the house this morning,because it's so soft here.(the ground is not frozen at all here.)

I remember Sam Malone on Cheers once called Nova Scotia a frozen tundra. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
141 Posts
mjodrey. Actually I stole that line from references to Green Bay WI which got the name in 1966. I took liberty
in suggesting anything north of there was all included! Thanks for correcting me. I must have been looking at
photos of your wonderful country in the winter. Hey you are closer to the north pole than me. Glad to know
you do not have snow year round. Eh.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.