MM and others have done it :thumbsup:

a few at Yahoo recommend it. :headscratcher:

What tractor are you considering it on :headscratcher:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: anyone here swap out their EZ adjust for an electric ver

CASE 220/4 said:
Im just weighing out my options on my tractor here and was wondering if anyone here successfully swapped out the mechanical PTO clutch assembly for the newer electric style.
I haven't and wouldn't. The mechanical clutches are more reliable, cheaper and last longer so why would you want to switch?

·
Registered
203 Posts

I don't really understand why everyone on here hates electric clutches so much, in the late 70s cub cadet started using them, and most of them still have the original clutch.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

ljones said:
I don't really understand why everyone on here hates electric clutches so much, in the late 70s cub cadet started using them, and most of them still have the original clutch.
I had Cubs with both, didn`t repair either. currently have an Ingersoll with each method, have repaired neither, have adjusted the elec. However, from a standpoint of "mechanical sensibilities" I prefer the mech as it doesn`t have the all or nothing engagement of the electric.
Seems less injurious for all components to be able make a gentle engagement. JMO as a geezer I guess :lol:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Well, mechanical = cheaper and more reliable...I dont know. I cant imagine the mechanical one on my 444 going 13 years without adjustment, cleaning, bearing replacement, etc. And from a cost standpoint they may be more expensive to buy at the service counter but I'm quite sure they're cheaper for the OEMs (I'm quite certain they're cheaper to make as a whole, logistically they only have to buy one part number, the installers just bolt them on and plug them in, etc.).

I wouldnt go out and buy a new electric clutch and then try it out but if I had one with the ridght bore size laying around without something for it to go into I'd give it a try.

The electrics are a bit agressive at launch ... but then the 'softer' they are they more they wear - its a trade-off.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

Well. I've been using my EZ Clutch for 30 years and it was last adjusted in 1998 for the second time since new to me in 1981.

I took it apart and it only required bearings. :thumbsup:

I'll stick with my EZ for now. :thumbsup:

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,514 Posts

club
i will do a Ditto on the EZ clutch.
my one owner 82 448 has had one set of brgs.
all else is original.
thank you boomer (the used onan engine parts guy)

·
Registered
877 Posts

I just bought another 444 Saturday. The previous owner had problems with the belt for the deck. A repair shop installed an electric clutch and told him "you'll love this" PO made less than one round of mowing and had problems again. I'll eventually post pics but, everything was mechanically wrong with this installation. The clutch put the belt so far forward, it almost rubbed the frame crossmember behind the front axle. The belt was twisted as it went around the clutch pulley. If you want an electric clutch, I'll trade mine for an E_Z adj. manual anyday. I'll even pay the shipping for both packages! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.