Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Case 646 onan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here ever just flat out replace the arm cylinders with something different? I messed up one of the heads on my lift cylinder and cannot find anything out there to replace it. So I’m considering replacing both cylinders with brand new. Was wondering what anyone used

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
I take it this would be one of the boom lift cylinders off a 646? When you talk about the head being messed up,, would that be the mount at the end of the rod,, or the gland?

I don't know, and haven't heard of people replacing these with something else, so perhaps you can post a picture of what's messed up? I know either the end of the rod mount, or even a gland,, with an old one in hand, a decent shop should be able to make a new one from that. I suspect, that may be cheaper in the long run,,,

Anyways, you can post a picture or 2 on here, or if you prefer, even a private PM can include pictures which you could send as well.

Maybe someone else, can chime in on a alternative replacement,, but I haven't' seen too many posts about that,,

·
Registered
Case 646 onan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gas Road surface Circle Concrete Metal
Tire Automotive tire Wood Rim Tread
Automotive tire Tire Tread Wood Camera lens
Cylinder head is what the parts manual calls it. As you have I too would call it a gland. But yea there she is all boogered up

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
Okay, so it looks rough,, is there a decent machine shop, or fab shop around where you are? With that piece in hand, they'd be able to machine a new one, because that's how they are done. Did you get the other side out, on the other cylinder already? Or is it still in?

Ask the machine shop for a quote, and then, you'll have all the information required to make a decision. Bring the old lock rings along, so they can see how it'a assembled,,,

·
Registered
399 Posts
The rough part on top is the wiper retainer groove. The wiper is not in contact with high pressure oil. You maybe able to straighten with a screw driver well enough to use again, or MacGyver something to hold in place, like glue. It only does its work when rod is retracting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts