Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING: Boasting of a great score coming.

So I'm cruising through Craigslist last night when I see an ad for a Case/Ingersoll chipper posted 15 minutes prior. I made arrangementsts with the gentleman to see him and made the 20 minute drive to his house this morning. I inspected the unit and agreed to purchase it from him at his asking price. Really nice guy. He told me he had only used the unit twice and that he got it from the local dealer who had repossessed it. I swung through the do-it yourself car wash on the way back to clean off the dirt and dust. The paint and plating is all still nice and shiny; there is even still a lot of paint on the shredder hammers.

I was going to pursue a project to re-power an engine-less Mackissic chipper shredder that I retrieved from the scrap yard. Getting this Ingersoll unit sort of makes that project suddenly not so interesting.

The price: $200. :razz:

·
Registered
877 Posts
You ought to hang your head in shame :sidelaugh:
It's good to hear of someone getting a good deal and not beating the seller to death to try to get better. I'm glad for you and hope it serves you well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
ing3018 said:
WARNING: Boasting of a great score coming.

So I'm cruising through Craigslist last night when I see an ad for a Case/Ingersoll chipper posted 15 minutes prior. I made arrangementsts with the gentleman to see him and made the 20 minute drive to his house this morning. I inspected the unit and agreed to purchase it from him at his asking price.
The price: $200. :razz:
:mad: I thought I got a good deal on the one that accidentally followed me home a week ago for $500.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try and get some pictures posted tomorrow. I hooked it up to my tractor when I got home this evening and ran it for a few minutes. Runs smoothly. All the guards and screens are there and in good shape. The only thing I found missing was one cotter pin. There was a decent amount of oily crud underneath the unit, so I'll have to keep an eye on this in case it has an oil leak or a motor seal leak. I didn't see anything leaking yet. I finished cleaning it up and will check it again when I have more light.
The pressure relief on the PTO squeals a bit when starting this thing. Also, when spinning down, it seems like the motor is giving some resistance (yes, I have the case drain hooked up). How long are these things supposed to coast after shutting off the PTO?

Paul

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
As I understand it, the motor for the chipper, deck and snocaster are special proprietary units exclusive to Ingersoll. All of those items have a substantial mass that is spinning at a high speed. If they used an ordinary motor then shutting off the PTO would create a hydraulic lock situation that would try to stop the motor instantly. You can imagine how bad that would be. To solve this problem the motors have an internal valve that will open up when the oil pressure is stopped on the inlet side and that internal valve allows the oil to circulate inside the pump from outlet port to inlet port until the rotating mass winds down to a halt.

It is also supposed to work on start-up because the motor cannot go from 0 to 3600 RPM in the blink of an eye. The larger the rotating mass, the longer it takes to get it up to operating speed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
May I say I hate you very much.

Nice catch!

On the case drain-my older implements with a big rotating mass (Hydracutter and bagger) seem to have an overrunning clutch to allow a coastdown. Wouldn't it be simpler to do that on the chipper, as well?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tom do you mean the oil keeps flowing inside the motor to keep it spinning to let it coast to a stop? That's pretty slick. So it is acting as a clutch of sorts? And these motors are very uncommon and only to be had through Case? Is that how a brush hog on a skid steer works too? I had thought of making a brush hog out of a mower deck but an instant stop would be kind of harsh. Would taking it down to idle like Brian suggested work ok or at least be better?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I meant by my question on the unit coasting after shutting off the PTO, was that I actually expected that it would coast for a longer period of time given the rotational mass involved. I felt as though the motor was providing some braking effect and was curious if that was to be expected. (There might have been some small debris in the chamber, too) My hydra-vac spins down gradually and so I thought the chipper would behave similarly. I felt the case drain line away from the motor and it felt as though warm oil had flowed through it.

Paul

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Bill Parkin and I talked about the deck and snowblower motors used on the AH Series and that's how I learned why those motors are so special.

Yes, what happens inside the motor is similar to having a valve Tee'd into the supply hose and return lines of the motor. When you want to start the motor spinning, you flip on the PTO and then slowly close the bypass valve as the motor spins the device up to speed. When you want to shut the device off, you open the valve fully at the same time you flip the PTO off.

Motors act as pumps if there is something that will make their shafts spin. The internal valving allows the motors to "soft start" and "soft stop". I asked Bill if there was a source for these motors and he told me that they were special order from an Italian hydraulics manufacturer.

The problem stems from the type of PTO valve used on our tractors. It is the equivalent to the ON/OFF switch on your bedroom wall that controls the ceiling lite. If you want ambiance, then you install a "dimmer switch". The travel valve and implement lift valve are both "dimmer switches". The spools are cut with a taper so that they meter oil to the device incrementally instead of all at once.

Dropping the engine RPM to an idle will slow the device down. Shutting the engine off while leaving the PTO engaged will allow some additional cushioning. The problem comes into play when the unexpected emergency occurs and you are forced to instantly shut the device off while it is still spinning at top speed. That's when you risk having damage occur.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hydriv said:
There is no such thing as a clutch of any kind on either the vacs or the hydra-cutters.
Interesting, I'll have to refer to my parts diagram. By clutch, of course I mean something like a sprag clutch, it looks like a small roller bearing.

The blades on my implements free-wheel in one direction, and try to turn the motor if I turn the blades the other way. Certainly an overrunning clutch would remove the need for a case drain-and neither of my units have one, or a provision for one.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Case drains are there to allow oil to get back to the low pressure return. The oil has leaked into an area it shouldn't be in and if it is not drained off, it will build pressure to the point of leaking past the oil seal. This is a issue that has to do with how the motor is designed and not what it is attached to. The deck motors have a case drain on them. But you are more than welcome to search for some sort of clutch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.