Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a pinch, last week I ordered a governor spring from the closest parts shop. What I was sent does not fit my tractor. My tractor has a spring that goes from the carb to the arm that pivots next to the flywheel. I want to get my tractor running ASAP and wondered if this spring would be something you could get at a spring box in the fastener section at a hardware store? I have to mail order because my cloest store is over 100 miles from me. When I ordered the spring the parts guy did not want my spec number because they all use the same spring, Um HUH.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Springs are wound using a certain diameter of wire, a certain number of winds and a certain overall length and internal diameter. The result is a spring that has a specific rate of pull over a certain distance. The chances of you finding a generic spring that comes even close to what you need is very unlikely. I'm not saying "Don't try". I'm just saying "Don't be surprised when it does not work." Talk to Boomer. If anyone can help you instantly it would be him.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,511 Posts
bushman
go to the tech library on this site, then onan manuals for 200 400 series.
see if you can find the spring you need.
my manuals do not show a spring from the carb to anything.
thank you,. boomer (the used onan engine parts guy)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am referring to the elusive #20376 governor spring. Called my Cummings generator dealer and they are bringing one up. I powerwashed my 446 before putting on the cab & blower this year and got the big snowball rolling. Funny thing is that my engine was severely clogged as far as the cooling fins go but, it only overheated once on me this summer when I was mowing the grass. I bought my tractor second hand and the dude who bought this rig new was not too much into the cleaning end of things. The deal I got on my unit was decent enough to tolerate having less than $200.00 of parts so far. I can only hope to squeeze some additional life out of this engine now that things are clean or else I will buy another tractor. I bought a tractor with wheel weights, hard cab,tiller,snowcaster and 48" deck for $1100.00 and am not even beginning to think ill of it. Once I get this dialed in again it should go for quite a while.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and furthermore this is my third year owning this rig after getting out of the Gravely business. I had a 444 for a couple years then decided that Gravely was the way to go. My Gravely had the PTO freeze up and I had no ambition to screw with that mechanical monstrosity so put her on Craigslist and bought the 1st Case 446 that came up. The Gravely was so slow and clunky compared to the Case tractors. I guess that the Gravelys are cool but are in my opinion ponderous as a steam engine. I love heavy duty CASE-INGERSOLL tractors and can see never having anything but. At this point the only remaining manfacturer of real steel is Ingersoll as you well know and there is a good reason for that.

·
1,511 Posts
bushman
i just checked my onan PDF .
your # does not compute.
most onan # are seven digit except for basic hardware.
SO, this is in your court.
SPLAIN, as tom would say.
thank you. boomer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, I found the right part but not the right placement. The spring I was referring to went from the 3 hole arm on the blower housing to the governor arm. This spring does not go to the carb at all, my fault. Thank you for your concern.

·
1,511 Posts
bushman
i have these springs ava.
#150-1214
if this is what you need, it is yours for FREE.
send a address with zipp code.
Please pay it forward some day.
thank you. boomer (the used onan engine parts guy)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.