Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be removing the heads for decarbonizing.

I'm concerned about the steel bolts threaded into the aluminum block; am I likely to encounter seized threads?

Upon reassembly, should the bolts be lubricated or should they be installed dry?

I had a look at the manual and did a Youtube search but did not find my answers there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good morning and thanks for the tips... they will no doubt assist me with this project.

When I reinstall with anti-seize is it advisable to torque the bolts a little less than specs to avoid over-torque or is it assumed that they will go in lubricated? Again, the manual I'm looking at does not spell that out.

Update: The bolts came out easily on the left side. I imagine the other side will be OK as well. It appears someone oiled the treads upon previous installation.

Torque values are unclear to me. One manual specifies 5, then 10 ft. lbs. Another manual recommends 5, 10, then 16 - 18 ft. lbs. Which final value do users here recommend?

To my dismay, I found 1/2 tsp. of oil in the combustion chamber. I evidently overfilled the crankcase on a recent oil change and couldn't be bothered to double check the level. I corrected that and I'm hoping that was the cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am doing the same thing with my 4020, onan. hopefully just a head cleaning, needs valve adjustments also. I read a lot of these posts for my own information on these ingersolls, its a real workhorse of a tractor. I to have the same gaskets, hopefully no head bolt probs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts