Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok in firing up my freebie B48, (working on the oil leak) it doesn't smoke, carb is clean and it fire right up BUT makes more noise at idle than I think is proper (more of a mechanical metalic sound), my compression test broke so I can't test the compression.

My plans for this engine was to put in a 446 that I haven't bought yet which I was waiting to test this engine before I bought the engineless 446.

With not being able to describe this engine like I perhaps I should, here's a video I recorded and uploaded to YouTube

What do you think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would NOT run eng w/that filter or w/o side shroud blowing air over cyl head. I would do cyl leakdown test, then I'd pull heads and de-carbon and adj valves, assuming leakdown is good. I'd check valve seats are tight. Reort back leakdown and valve settings and what heads look like. Bob M

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that I have a similar problem with my 20 HP P series. It sort of sounds like a grinding or rubbing and I thought that possibly the flywheel was rubbing the case. Since I saw that yours was stripped of the sheet metal and making a similar noise,I am thinking I need to quit running the motor.
It is really hard to tell just where the noise originates. I think the bearings on the crank could be a possibility. I will watch this closely to see what you find out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bearings were my thought too, mind you the engine isn't too bad and if I wanted to make a little money I know I could throw this engine in a 446 as it is and sell it but but I having a weird problem with my 16hp engine on my 446 so I thinking I may need it for either parts or to rebuild and fix properly. Larger issue is that I have too many things going on and the last thing on my list is to tear down and rebuild an engine.

I'm going to get the oil filter leak fixed, I'm very concened that the oil leak may have been going on for a awhile when it was on the tractor and it may have become starved of oil too many times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.