Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back........... this time I am wondering about the balance gears n my K321, both are missing teeth on the outer ring and are awful sloppy, The outer ring teeth don't really bother me, but how much slop is normal in these gears?? (The crankcase was full of metal shavings) Explains the knock, crankpin looks good as does the bore, piston is scored pretty good as is the connecting rod cap.

Thanks
Dave

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
That's absolutely true.

However, the big question is whether or not it is truly necessary for a dead stock Kohler. Now if I was going to build an engine for Pulling, then I would be running that engine well above the normal 3600 RPM set point on the governor. The higher the RPM, the more critical the balance is for any engine. Dave's balance plate requires machining to install it and then you would want someone with proper equipment to conduct dynamic balancing on what you did, just to make sure that you did not make things worse.

I welcome all opinions on this topic.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hydriv said:
However, the big question is whether or not it is truly necessary for a dead stock Kohler. Now if I was going to build an Dave's balance plate requires machining to install it and then you would want someone with proper equipment to conduct dynamic balancing on what you did, just to make sure that you did not make things worse.

I welcome all opinions on this topic.
Tom, I was surprised at the latest info on Dave's site. He states that no further balancing is needed if installed per his instructions! I may have to try on one those as I have access to a reasonably priced machinist, (grandson, and nephew). I have a K341 that may go on a Case and I'm sure it would be a shaker on a direct bolted install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.