Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I purchase a machine in good condition if it can be reliably used to spread mulch and soil in a half acre garden without a lot of repair work? Also, what is the going rate for a 646/good mechanical condition/Onan/no attachments/does have wheel weights?

Did all the 646’s come with PTO or was that an add on? Also, what are my options for transporting the machine? Does anyone have a pic of a trailer they’ve used? I have to move it about 60 miles. Thanks everyone. Great forum.

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,040 Posts
All of the prices for the tractors are VERY regional. I depends on where you are and where the tractor is. A 646 will fit in a uhaul "5x9 Utility Trailer with Ramp" That is also one of the few open trailers that Uhaul will do a one way rental on.
If you're looking for a running in good working order 644, 646, 648, 6018, 6020, in the midwest you're talking $5,000 probably. If you are willing to deal with non-running or other problems then the price will come down.

How to Evaluate CCI Loader:

·
Administrator
8,390 Posts
Goldman first off welcome to our site, where do you call home ???
Were you call home will be a big factor in the price you'll have to pay 🧩
Here in Michigan, there is a lot of Case loader tractors around, Ohio and Wisconsin are good places to look
Everything is a extra when it comes to Case and Ingersoll tractors, wheel weights, rear PTO 3-point hitch or sleeve hitch
are all out there you'll just have to look for them 🚛🚛
Sounds like you have one in mind already, I picked up a 644 a few years back for 3 grand, it came with 4-D10 wheel weights there going for 4 bills for a set of 4 everything worked great from day 1 loaders are a great back saver
THANKS for joining or forum hope you find a great deal on a 646 (y)

bigman ☕

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much sdunt and bigman. I appreciate your quick responses. While the 646 I’m looking at runs and is in good shape now, I’m guessing I’ll still need to do frequent repairs if I use it regularly. Is that a good assumption? I’m handy but not experienced with these tractors or the Onan engine. That said, if I can buy the machine for a good price, perhaps I would get some use out of it and could always sell it. Sounds like there’s a healthy market for them in the Midwest. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
4,434 Posts
You can always LEARN how these loaders work. Lots of info and experienced guys ready to help right here! They are pretty basic machines after all, no friggin computer or sensors or electronic control valves to fail. If the one you are looking at has been looked after, you may get a LOT of hours out of it before needing repairs. Especially if you are just using it as a wheelbarrow and not digging a foundation for a house or loading trucks all day.

·
Registered
1973 Case 644
145 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 644 and prefer the kohler over the onan as far as maintenance goes. Onans are reliable as long as kept up but I didn’t have much luck with mine. The K series kohler has plenty of power for everything I have asked from it Including removing 17 yards of 100+ year old gravel driveway. It’s also a very simple engine to maintain. I haul it with a Karavan 6x12 single axle trailer. Mine didn’t come with a rear pto or 3 point.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Building

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,649 Posts
Goldman welcome to the CCI forum. I think most of your questions were mentioned by previous posts. You may find them in various states of condition. Over 5K will be in better condition under will probably have issues. I believe you'll find the forum very helpful with dealers for parts, manuals for understanding your machine and knowledgeable members for questions. I hope you enjoy the site.

Keep the Peace ✌
Harry

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Thanks so much sdunt and bigman. I appreciate your quick responses. While the 646 I’m looking at runs and is in good shape now, I’m guessing I’ll still need to do frequent repairs if I use it regularly. Is that a good assumption? I’m handy but not experienced with these tractors or the Onan engine. That said, if I can buy the machine for a good price, perhaps I would get some use out of it and could always sell it. Sounds like there’s a healthy market for them in the Midwest. Thanks again.
Frequent repairs???? This isn’t a Ford (I am joking).

there should not be any frequent repairs. If the machine is breaking down often then it needs a complete overhaul.
you will have maintenance but it isn’t frequent or major stuff where the machine is down for weeks.
I live in the northeast. You can get a decent 600 series tractor for $3500-$5,000.
i don’t own a 600 series yet but I have plenty of 400 tractors and I will say you should be less concerned about looks and more interested in condition of the machine and if it looks cared for.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Goldman, welcome to the forum!!! A 646 in good condition shouldn't need much more than regular maintenance. Of course, old hoses can break, etc, but that is to be expected with any equipment that is 40-50 years old. Mine was NOT in good shape when I got it, and needed severe amounts of work, but now it only needs oil changes, and lots of fuel for the thirsty Onan. To me, it would be best to get one in as good of shape as possible, and then just maintain it. I learned about nearly every system on it, but the education was great for me, and I know my tractor very well. -----Metalguy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts