Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this fits in this category as it is a Ingersoll. I just bought sight unseen a Massey high wheel Ingersoll (w/ PS). It had been sitting for a couple of years. The dealer got it running great but when they were cleaning it the pressure washer blew a small hole in the top of the block (there was a mouse nest). It is an opposed twin Kohler. I have used JB Weld over the years with a pretty good success rate. My question is is there anything new that might be considered better? Rather than just read the hype on the package I am hoping for real experiance. Thank you, Gregg

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
No... I think he's saying that there was a mouse nest on the top of where the hole in the block is and the pressure washer revealed the existence of the hole when the stinking, vermin domicile was blasted away. :lol:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You both may be right. They said that they couldn't see a leak until it was cleaned. I believe that Toms assessment of the rodents activity is correct. It's not the nesting that is a problem, it's their decision to also use it as their outhouse that causes damage. Whether the urine made it all the way through the aluminum or almost all the way and the pressure washer finished it doesn't matter at this point. I'm getting a little ahead of myself because I haven't seen the damage yet. I just figured that I might get some real life experiance here. I haven't done a repair like this in years and as a result haven't kept up in chemical advancements. I don't have a problem with JB Weld but I just don't want to depend on the opinion of the "parts man" at Autozone on what works the best. Thanks, Gregg

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nutcase446 said:
I guess this fits in this category as it is a Ingersoll. I just bought sight unseen a Massey high wheel Ingersoll (w/ PS). It had been sitting for a couple of years. The dealer got it running great but when they were cleaning it the pressure washer blew a small hole in the top of the block (there was a mouse nest). It is an opposed twin Kohler. I have used JB Weld over the years with a pretty good success rate. My question is is there anything new that might be considered better? Rather than just read the hype on the package I am hoping for real experiance. Thank you, Gregg
Thanks for the info I'll just hand wash my Massey. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Gregg, this might help. It's an 8HP Tecumseh, but a broken rod cracked the side. In this case, Dony had it welded rather than use JB Weld on it.
First minute of part 2 shows the damage, and the repair is shown in part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EThxQOSeU5s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLl7NDgOSlE
In the comments some people talk about a product called Alumiweld. I have no experience with it, but perhaps someone else does?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll pick up the tractor tomorrow. The dealer that has the tractor is confident that it can be repaired but as a dealer can't stand behind it. It sounds like JB is still the best choice. It's also one of those situations where I have nothing to lose by trying it. If it doesn't work, it's on to plan B. Gregg

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hole in the block is the size of a nickel. It's also on the side as the nest was between the block and starter. I picked up another Massey/Ingersoll 216 (same as 3016 I think) with a Kohler Magnum 16. I have some research to do but If the blocks are the same I will repair the 20HP using the 16 block. These have bolt on cylinders. We didn't have these problems with the old K series.. Gregg

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might still be able to do that. It will take JB and a patch. I have to get it home and pull the starter to fully view the damage. I didn't buy the other tractor just for that reason. It has a new style 3 PT and PTO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.