Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
99flhr said:
What is the spacing on the 5 lug / 12" rear wheels used on 3xxx tractors ?The same as the 200's LOL :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Thanks ! :wave:
If I knew how to measure spacing I'd go measure mine. :thumbsup: :trink: :trink:
:drinkbuddies: :canada:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The second most important factor when it comes to rims is the offset. Even if wheels from a Craftsman or a Cub have the same 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern, the offset of the rims center may make it impossible to mount those rims due to how close the drive motor is to the tires on the OEM rims.

Of course, wheel centers can be moved by drilling out the spot welds and moving the centers to a different location. Or, you can make up spacers and use long studs to mount the rims.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm looking at buy a set of rims for my jeep from a guy who has some he took off a Ford so I needed ot calculate this anyway to verify they'd fit. I'm getting ...

4.5" circle diameter = 2.25" radial distance from axle cl to bolt cl
360 degrees / 5 = 72degrees

sin(72/2) X 2.25 = 1.3225 X 2 = 2.645"

Like Tom said look out for offset. Front wheel drive or rims off a 'modern' independent susp 4X4 probable wont work. Id be surprised if Jeep rims from a beam axle vehicle wouldnt work.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rockdog said:
I'm looking at buy a set of rims for my jeep from a guy who has some he took off a Ford so I needed ot calculate this anyway to verify they'd fit. I'm getting ...

4.5" circle diameter = 2.25" radial distance from axle cl to bolt cl
360 degrees / 5 = 72degrees

sin(72/2) X 2.25 = 1.3225 X 2 = 2.645"

Like Tom said look out for offset. Front wheel drive or rims off a 'modern' independent susp 4X4 probable wont work. Id be surprised if Jeep rims from a beam axle vehicle wouldnt work.
Or for those of us with lesser math skills
4.5 divided by 1.7 = 2.647

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
:headscratcher: :headscratcher:

4.5 divided by 1.7 = 2.647. :headscratcher:

I thought in the first post we were looking for the Dia. :headscratcher: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Mine measured 2.246 :thumbsup:

Ya looking for stock rims?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Stewart said:

I thought in the first post we were looking for the Dia. :headscratcher: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

So did I,and it is a 4.5" bolt circle.

Maynard :canada:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stewart said:

4.5 divided by 1.7 = 2.647. :headscratcher:

Mine measured 2.246 :thumbsup:

Ya looking for stock rims?
I`ll try to explain, was toying with the idea of buying the "65hr 3016" and converting it to high wheel specs. In order to get an idea of costs I wanted to source wheel adaptors for the rear. Had no lo-pro model to measure so I inquired what the bolt circle was.
You nice folks responded with 4.5 and I was good to go. Rockdog came in with if you knew the bolt circle you could arrive at the spacing, I just pointed out the "dummy version" (me) for the math. So, no I`m not looking for rims, have spare 16`s lying around, looking for a tractor to put them on ! Outfit in Nevada quoted $225 to custom make the adaptors. Yes, I`m aware that I`d also need to change the front axle etc. But, those are cheap.
Thanks to all who replied. :wave:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Even number of wheel bolts/holes is easy to measure the diameter. If you have an odd number then the next easiest thing is the straight distance between two adjacent centerlines.

Arent the 5 and 6 lug shafts interchangable?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
[/quote]

I`ll try to explain, was toying with the idea of buying the "65hr 3016" and converting it to high wheel specs. In order to get an idea of costs I wanted to source wheel adaptors for the rear. Had no lo-pro model to measure so I inquired what the bolt circle was.
:[/quote]

With that info, I'll suggest you just purchase a pair of 4xx or 4xxx axles. They will replace the 5 lug versions and be a LOT cheaper than those adapters you priced.

Likely to be available from the same place that you get the front axle/spindles. I would be a possible source if you decide to go that way, drop me a pm.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree that changing axles is cheaper.
I believe that adding adaptors is easier.
Had to investigate both to arrive at the actual difference.
The tires being roughly 30 % taller may result in the elusive happy medium of a MID RANGE gear, (selector in "low") then again, maybe not. Obviously if you gain speed, you`ll lose power. Option 2 is easily reversible, albeit at a cost. ( local machining may be less $)
All of this is moot at this point as Creekhed1`s sale is still ongoing and his valuation, probably quite realistic, and mine are slightly divergent.
Another point is that the adaptor thickness may pose problems by moving the wheels outboard and causing interference with the mower guide wheels in turns and when reversing.
I didn`t mention any of this when I asked about the bolt circle because it was ( and still is) just an idea.
Again, thanks to all for their input

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.