Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought a 1977 case 444. It looks good but it does make a little noise when you go from high speed forward to neutral almost like a rubbing sound. Not sure what that could be..it almost sounds like it is coming from the brake but not sure. The snow blower was hardly ever used but I did get it for $950 not $1200. It does smoke a little when you flip the speed up and then quits so it is burning a little oil. I would post pictures but not sure how if someone could chime in that would be great thanks. Brad

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like you have the "Gggrrrrrrrrrdddddddddd" noise ?

Its nothing more than the first thing a new case owner learns about ! The noise you hear is simply oil cavitating, actually bypassing in the gerotor style drive motor. The oil gets compressed immensely as it squeezes past the "lumps" of the motors design. Its perfectly normal, and no damage is taking place.

You will want to read the users manuals to understand how to control that tractor downhill. If you ever purchase a "holding valve", which was an add-on for many years (later became a stock item), this noise no longer happens, and the tractor will not freewheel like it does now when you hear that noise.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grummy, It does it if I coast down hill which I would understand... but how about when I am going forward and then I go to neutral rather quickly will it still make that noise especially if I am in high speed and then click to neutral. Is that normal???

Thanks Brad

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
brad said:
Grummy, It does it if I coast down hill which I would understand... but how about when I am going forward and then I go to neutral rather quickly will it still make that noise especially if I am in high speed and then click to neutral. Is that normal???
It's normal. When you go into neutral you're actually going right past the retard setting.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
brad said:

Thanks Brad
Hi Brad;
Nice buy you got there. :thumbup:
Yes it will still do it and it's normal, (nothing to worry about) because your coasting when you quickly put it in neutral so it acts just like your going down a hill. :think:
Yes a holding valve will fix the issue.
Enjoy your purchase.
I just drove past the plant where your Case was built today. :thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I adjusted the pto clutch today and I noticed the bearing would spin freely but I felt like they were kinds loose fitting on the shaft.. The shaft looked in pretty good shape with no grooves or nothing....is that normal. The clutch looked in decent shape but I know at some point I will install a new pad....the fork looked like it has been rubbing on the pulley and the belt looked a little worn on the side....
I really appreaciate your guys help with the noise I was hearing I thought for sure something was wrong....This is a great site for certain

Brad

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I slid the bearings on the shaft it would wiggle from side to side as if there space between the bearing and shaft. The shaft doesn't look worn. What would wear quicker the inside of the bearing or the shaft? The belt is worn some on the side as if the pulley is at an angle a little. I just wonder how tight these bearing are supposed to slide on? I know they have to be loose enough to slide on the shaft. Thanks Brad

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The bearing fit is a slip fit. Relatively loose as they must slide easily without hanging up inn order to release (wave springs washers release the clutch). Check the bearing number and make sure they are correct. If there are no grooves in the shaft and the bearings are the correct size you'll be fine. I think I threw my old ones out otherwise I'd post the size/catalog number. I believe they're 30mm I.D.

By they way, the shaft on mine is pretty worn under the rear bearing and its working fine.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Brad: Congratulations on the tractor! Looks very nice! :usa: :usa: :usa: And the snow caster looks to be in great shape. I see you got several Kevlar belts $$ :thumbsup: with the package. Genuine Ingersoll belts or Kevlar belts are necessary for these GTs. Recommend that you purchase an Operators Manual for the tractor from one of the dealers on this site, it's nice to have on hand and not expensive. There should be info on the use of the travel control lever in the OM. If your land is flat you should be able to adequately control the tractor by retarding with the travel control. If it is hilly, the holding valve would probably be a good investment and you won't have to be paying attention to retarding when doing work on a grade. JMHO
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Administrator
3,515 Posts
Brad,

Welcome! Nice looking 444 and snocaster - looks like you got a good deal. I am relatively new to this forum and have used the resources here extensively during the repairs and partial restoration of my '78 446. The folks here will certainly guide you through any repair and maintenance action you may encounter and don't worry about asking dumb questions, I've already taken care of that for you! :sidelaugh:

Best wishes with your new machine!
Tim

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys...At some point I am going to completely restore this tractor. As I have mentioned in the past I used to work at a farm implement place that would sell used equipment and one of my main jobs was to prepare farm equipment for painting. Then put a nice coat of paint on them for resale. Right now I am going to enjoy using it. Painting will be the last thing I do to it. Next year I will be looking for a rolling chassis for extra parts. In the mean time I will be fixing things on it as I go. I noticed that I have a dead spot in the starter but it only happens once every 5 starts. I know you can buy them on ebay but I may take it to a place that can go through it or if I can fix it myself. It turns but doesn't want to engage....that might not be the starter but the little solenoid on top by the ignition. I would have to say this is a great site for people like me. I am still learning my way around the sight so please be patient....Thanks Brad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.