Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drive way has a slight slope from my garage down to the road. When I pulled it out and parked it on my driveway it was creeping down the drive way a little bit. I hit the brakes but it didn't stop it. It seems like when you engage the brake pedal it just returns the trans to neutral and doesn't actually stop the machine. Is this how the machines were set up?

I added a 38'' snowcaster to the front of my 226. I have chains for it but no weights. I work at a fab shop so I can make up any kind of bracket or box and can add some thick plate to it. How much weight is normal and would it be recommended?

$375 for the tractor (with mower deck) and $200 for the snowcaster. I think I have an awesome snowblower and got a free tractor for that price!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It sounds like you indeed got yourself a good deal.

Understand that the brake is a "parking" brake and is not really intended to be used to stop a moving tractor--use the travel control lever to accomplish that. If the brake is not holding when the tractor is parked on an incline I would first check to make sure there is some brake lining left on the brake band then tighten the band by tightening the clevis on the end of the brake linkage that connects to the brake assembly. If the lining is gone or extremely thin then it should be relined.

If you're going to make a weight bracket for the rear I'd figure on adding about 200 lbs. Depending upon the operator weight and the slope of the area you're working on more or less weight may be appropriate. You can also increase weight by filling the tires and/or adding wheel weights.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
That's a really sweet deal you got!
In the owners manual is a procedure for brake adjustment, it's pretty easy. As Bart said, check your lining to make sure you still have one. If so, basically all you do is tighten it until it almost drags.
With access to a good shop, I'd definitely consider making some wheel weights rather than a bracket.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can make up some wheel weights. I have never seen wheel weights made up just the plastic ones. Any ideas, drawings, concepts on how to make them? I take it they will just be a disc cut out to fit inside the rim? How would they stay in the rim and not flop out?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I made a quick, easy and inexpensive weight bracket using some 2" x 1/4" flat stock and a 1" bolt.

This bracket simply bolts to the 4 holes in the rim for wheel weight bolts.

You can then slide on as many standard barbell plates as desired and snug them down with a nut.

The 25 lb plates fit easily inside of the 16" rims and I believe a 45 lb weight would fit as well though I don't have any. You can add/subtract weights easily to match your needs and you don't have to wrestle heavy weights and multiple bolts. If you feel like browsing local garage sales you should be able to pick up weights cheap or you can purchase brand new ones from places like Walmart for far less than tractor weights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.