Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Question about using brass floats in our carburators. I have always read and heard that you should switch the stock composite float with the brass style float. But, I have never read or heard WHY. Just looking for an explanation on the theory or science behind it all.

The limit to what I have read is that the composite floats do not play well with new gas containing ethanol. That is great, but what happens and why?

Thanks for entertaining my curiousity.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hydriv said:
The composite reacts to the alcohol by physically expanding to the point where it rubs the sides of the float chamber and sticks in one spot. Need I say more?
Simple, to the point and makes sense. There are many posts here and other forums that advise people to change out the float with a brass one. But, none that I could find that explained why.

Now, I am happy. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
When will you learn that you shouldn't hang out on other forums?

:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Looks like Hydriv already answer the "why" the older floats have problems with the current ethanol blended fuels. I can personally attest to what happens to the older floats. I recently rebuilt the carb on my 446 and the bottom of the bowl was filled with little bits and pieces of the fiber/plastic float. Needless to say, the carb now has a brass float and it runs like a charm (with lots of help from Boomer and Brian H!)

:trink: :trink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.