Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 HP Kohler K301 on a Case 222.
I've noticed oil leaking or running out of the breather cover.
Knowing very little about small engines, I am at a loss to what's happening.
Can any of you experts enlighten me?
Thanking you in advance for your time and efforts.
:canada:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you go to the Library/Service Manuals/ Engines/Kohler, you will find information about the breather which consists of a reed valve and some mesh material. Reed valves do not last forever because over time, they fatigue and allow oil mist to get past them. Opening up your breather and carefully extracting the parts while taking note of what it says in the Service Manual should reveal why your breather is not breathing the way it should be breathing. If you repeat that sentence five times in a row, it will leave you breathless. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Make sure the reed is installed correctly. Check the small hole at the bottom of the breather plate (the inside plate), make sure it is clear, when you take it apart clean it out real good and make sure the breather plate gasket is installed correctly. The oil drain hole should be down. Also take a gasket scrapper and clean the engine block real real good around the breather area. I torque the nut down for the cover valve anywhere from 70 to 120 in lbs. I never found any specs for the torque of that palnut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.