Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Sad day today. Was raking pine straw with my 4014 and after about an hour of running I got a really bad vibration from the engine and then after about 15 seconds, lost all hydros. Killed it and opened the side panel to see what the issue was. Apparently the hydraulic pump worked its way out of the coupler and caught on just enough of the end of the shaft to stay part way in. This caused the pump to vibrate wildly and sheared the shaft off about half way up.

Now I have a dilemma. The pump (C31958) is about $600 and the tractor is worth about $500. Do I save it or part it out? Is that really the only pump that will fit or have others used something aftermarket? I'd like to fix it, but things are a little tight these days with the cost of fuel and groceries, so 600 bones for a pump is a lot. If anyone has a line on a cheaper pump, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.
Don F.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm presuming your 3014 is the later righthand discharge type machine? If so, while it would take some serious finaggling, (different lovejoy coupling, different hydraulics hose fittings and fitting locations) this pump would fit in the space, would bolt up to the pump mount, and is a very similar hydraulic spec to the original, in that it expects CCW input, and produces in the vicinity of 9 gpm at 3600 rpm:

0.61 cu in Dynamic GPF2010PA Hydraulic Pump | Gear Pumps | Hydraulic Pumps | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

It would be a real pain to get it installed. But it is way less expensive.

So my first choice would be to find one used on Ebay. After that, I personally would buy and install one of these. But only if you or your mechanic is up for an adventure.

I do hope you get it worked out.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Bob. Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by 'right hand discharge machine'? If you are referring to the pump itself, then the outlet port is on the rear. I don't think that will be an issue, but the inlet might be. The inlet uses a formed rubber hose that is in the shape of a 'U' and is fitted with a collar that the hose slips over and is secured with a hose clamp. I can probably get all the piping worked out if I can get a pump that is compatible. So far the challenge is finding the right size keyed shaft (1/2") and the correct flow rate.

Checked ebay and found a used one, but for that kind of money, I'd just as soon buy a new one.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,689 Posts
FishMan, Bob mentioned right hand discharge is in reference to the mowing chute. Older tractors were left hand newer are right hand.

Keep the ✌
Harry

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,331 Posts
I recommend to carefully inspect the pump adaptor (small cast iron part that bolts to the flywheel) and ensure it is undamaged. The bore must be a true 1/2" down the length of the pump shaft, or it will cause pump wobble and ultimately more failures.

Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recommend to carefully inspect the pump adaptor (small cast iron part that bolts to the flywheel) and ensure it is undamaged. The bore must be a true 1/2" down the length of the pump shaft, or it will cause pump wobble and ultimately more failures.

Brian
Yeah, I checked the adapter and the bore is all wallered out so i;ll need a new one of those as well. I suspect that that is what caused the pump failure in the first place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FishMan, Bob mentioned right hand discharge is in reference to the mowing chute. Older tractors were left hand newer are right hand.

Keep the ✌
Harry
Ah. Well, i do not have a deck, so I don't know which hand it is/was. It appears that this pump puts out about 8.5 gpm at 3500 rpms, so if I can't find a reasonably priced OEM, i'll try an aftermarket of the same volume. Anything else I should look for regarding the pump specs?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ah. Well, i do not have a deck, so I don't know which hand it is/was. It appears that this pump puts out about 8.5 gpm at 3500 rpms, so if I can't find a reasonably priced OEM, i'll try an aftermarket of the same volume. Anything else I should look for regarding the pump specs?
You're just looking for a pump that:

Expects the correct CW/CCW rotation direction to match what your engine is turning
Fits or can be made to fit the pump mount
Couples with or can be made to couple with your engine output shaft/flywheel, including the offset/distance between the flywheel and the pump shaft
Outputs the proper GPM at 3600 rpm, in the vicinity 7.5-9 gpm
Pipes in or can be made to pipe in to the inlet-from-tank line as well as the output-to-TCV line.

The factory designers started with "the proper rotation direction and GPM"
Then obtained the necessary adapters/lovejoy to couple the engine flywheel to the pump shaft
Then designed a pump mount to put the pump in the appropriate location to match the coupling
Then obtained/created the necessary hydraulic inlet hose and outlet hoses.

If I were to use an off-the-shelf pump, I'd do precisely the same process. In a perfect world you MIGHT find a pump that could be made to fit the existing pump mount and still have its shaft coupled to the flywheel. But I don't think it's likely. I think you'll either have to fabricate a custom size/length flywheel-to-shaft adapter, or fabricate a new pump mount. One or the other.

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello everyone.

Sad day today. Was raking pine straw with my 4014 and after about an hour of running I got a really bad vibration from the engine and then after about 15 seconds, lost all hydros. Killed it and opened the side panel to see what the issue was. Apparently the hydraulic pump worked its way out of the coupler and caught on just enough of the end of the shaft to stay part way in. This caused the pump to vibrate wildly and sheared the shaft off about half way up.

Now I have a dilemma. The pump (C31958) is about $600 and the tractor is worth about $500. Do I save it or part it out? Is that really the only pump that will fit or have others used something aftermarket? I'd like to fix it, but things are a little tight these days with the cost of fuel and groceries, so 600 bones for a pump is a lot. If anyone has a line on a cheaper pump, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.
Don F.
You're just looking for a pump that:

Expects the correct CW/CCW rotation direction to match what your engine is turning
Fits or can be made to fit the pump mount
Couples with or can be made to couple with your engine output shaft/flywheel, including the offset/distance between the flywheel and the pump shaft
Outputs the proper GPM at 3600 rpm, in the vicinity 7.5-9 gpm
Pipes in or can be made to pipe in to the inlet-from-tank line as well as the output-to-TCV line.

The factory designers started with "the proper rotation direction and GPM"
Then obtained the necessary adapters/lovejoy to couple the engine flywheel to the pump shaft
Then designed a pump mount to put the pump in the appropriate location to match the coupling
Then obtained/created the necessary hydraulic inlet hose and outlet hoses.

If I were to use an off-the-shelf pump, I'd do precisely the same process. In a perfect world you MIGHT find a pump that could be made to fit the existing pump mount and still have its shaft coupled to the flywheel. But I don't think it's likely. I think you'll either have to fabricate a custom size/length flywheel-to-shaft adapter, or fabricate a new pump mount. One or the other.

Bob
Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance.
Don F.
I dont know if this helps but I have a 646 that had a pump frailer that destroyed the Love Joy the and pump mount.
I bought a pump 8.5 gpm from princess auto here
Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance.
Don F.
I hope this helps
I have a 646 that had a pump failed that took out the love joy along with the pump mounting bracket.
I ended by getting a 8.5 gpm pump from( works cw and ccw) Princess Auto here in canada for $130 cdn and a mounted bracket for $80 cdn and source out the love joy locally I believe I ended up spending about $ 250-$275 cdn for all parts. Everything has been working awesome all summer.
I was face with the same problem you have but with some looking around and with help from this site I was able to find a solution that works.
The key thing for me was to bring in all parts into store to make sure all parts match up including lengths of items.
Good Luck
Ron.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know if this helps but I have a 646 that had a pump frailer that destroyed the Love Joy the and pump mount.
I bought a pump 8.5 gpm from princess auto here

I hope this helps
I have a 646 that had a pump failed that took out the love joy along with the pump mounting bracket.
I ended by getting a 8.5 gpm pump from( works cw and ccw) Princess Auto here in canada for $130 cdn and a mounted bracket for $80 cdn and source out the love joy locally I believe I ended up spending about $ 250-$275 cdn for all parts. Everything has been working awesome all summer.
I was face with the same problem you have but with some looking around and with help from this site I was able to find a solution that works.
The key thing for me was to bring in all parts into store to make sure all parts match up including lengths of items.
Good Luck
Ron.
Thanks Ron. I have educated myself a little on hydraulic pumps and I am doing the same that you did, but not in-store. There are a bunch of Parker pumps that are just about the same with regards to mounting, port sizes, displacement per revolution, etc. I found one for about $150us and I'm about to pull the trigger. I'll post back once it get it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts