Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this one and brought it home today. It’s a 1978 model. Deck needs some metal work engine runs but rough. wanted it for crankshaft and flywheel but now i’m considering just swapping the 224 engine onto the 444. Couple weeks ago the 444 that just got rebuilt had the flywheel crack at the key and the crank end snapped off.
Question. can I install the generator onto the engine from the 224 that currently does not have a generator? is there some rewiring that I need to do to use the generator if I swap the entire engine out. I pulled the part manual for the 224 and see there’s a stator on there and I would need to rewire the 444 if it’s gets transferred from the 224 to the 444
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
3,484 Posts
Congrats on your “new” 224. If I understand your question correctly, you want to remove the starter generator from the engine on your 444 and use the stator that’s on your 224? If so, that shouldn’t be too difficult of a swap. You’ll need the flywheel and stator (inside and behind the flywheel) from the 224 and mount that on the K321 from your 444. You will also need a different voltage regulator for your 444. A review of the wiring diagrams from your 224 and 444 should give you the answers to your questions but we’re here to assist with the swap.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
If mine and the wiring harness is in good shape on the 224, I'd give the 444 an upgrade and swap the engine and the complete electrical system from the 224, ignition switch and all. I much prefer the separate starter (faster turning), stator (alternator) to the old starter/generator.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
540 Posts
That was my thought also, much better setup. I had 2 starter/generator setups and my newer setup are much better, so much better to work on also........Curt

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Congrats on your “new” 224. If I understand your question correctly, you want to remove the starter generator from the engine on your 444 and use the stator that’s on your 224? If so, that shouldn’t be too difficult of a swap. You’ll need the flywheel and stator (inside and behind the flywheel) from the 224 and mount that on the K321 from your 444. You will also need a different voltage regulator for your 444. A review of the wiring diagrams from your 224 and 444 should give you the answers to your questions but we’re here to assist with the swap.

Good luck!
I didn’t even consider that option but I like it. I had the 444 engine redone at machine shop so it makes perfect sense to put in the crankshaft stator and flywheel from the 224 into the 444 that was just redone at machine shop. I will tear down the 224 engine to see how it looks in there and make a decision from there.
Thanks for the suggestion because I was thinking last night maybe just do a complete engine swap but I hated the fact that the 444 was just redone at machine shop couple months ago. It just sucks that the crank and flywheel went on the 444. Here’s pics of the 444 that was done.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If mine and the wiring harness is in good shape on the 224, I'd give the 444 an upgrade and swap the engine and the complete electrical system from the 224, ignition switch and all. I much prefer the separate starter (faster turning), stator (alternator) to the old starter/generator.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gordy. I like what i’m hearing. At first I felt bad about changing engine from it original design but then I thought about how much easier it will be to work on with an “updated” engine. Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I really like to hear what the other members do and it helps give good direction on moving forward.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. Took both heads off engines and found the 224 engine had oil over top of piston and can see the rings on downstroke lot of blow by. here is pic of 224.

Here’s the 444 no oil on piston. this is the one that was just redone by machine shop.
so the game plan is to take the crank flywheel starter and wiring system from the 224 and put it in the 444.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Here’s the 444 no oil on piston. this is the one that was just redone by machine shop.
so the game plan is to take the crank flywheel starter and wiring system from the 224 and put it in the 444.
That may be a problem :oops: The old 444 block if OEM won't be machined to accept the newer starter or stator. Unless it had been swappedout atsomepoint with a newer style and the PO modified it to accept the SG.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking for a spot to place the 12v rectifier on the 444. On the 224 it is bolted to the inspection plate on the tower, on my 444 there is no inspection plate so I am looking for a good location to place the rectifier so it is grounded to the frame somewhere. Just wondering where best spot would be. Was wondering if it would work in the battery mount area on the inside of the tower somewhere

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That may be a problem :oops: The old 444 block if OEM won't be machined to accept the newer starter or stator. Unless it had been swappedout atsomepoint with a newer style and the PO modified it to accept the SG.

Cheers,
Gordy
Gordy
You were correct about the 444 not matching up to accept the new starter or stator. I measured bolt locations and they are not the same. So now I am back to probably doing a complete swap out of engines or try to find a replacement crank and flywheel for the 444 and just put it back with the generator again. And I will get the 224 back and running smooth with the engine it came with. Any suggestions much appreciated.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Lucky you, mattverdill has a 444 flywheel for sale on eBay. He usually has a few tractors parted out so he might have the crankshaft too. Good price and seems to be in your state. As I said, lucky!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Working on the J46 deck again. This thing was really rough but it’s getting there. My welding skills need a little work. I think I’m changing gears and I’m gonna keep the deck for my 446. I bought the 446 with a plow years ago and never had a deck for it. I am going to get the 224 running and probably sell the 224. Any interested in the 224?
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Bumper Brick

Road surface Wood Asphalt Line Floor
Automotive tire Wood Floor Asphalt Road surface
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel
Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Wood Gas

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive exterior
Road surface Wood Asphalt Line Floor Automotive tire Wood Floor Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Wood Gas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts