Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my tractor coming closer to the end (still long way to go) I’m thinking about the different uses I need it for.

For summer, the bucket pretty much does what I need for most things.

For winter, I need to plow the driveway, which isn’t really much wider than a two car drive and maybe 70-80 feet long at the longest.

I’ve been looking at snow pushers and am thinking that turning my snow blade into a pusher might be a good idea for me. For those not aware, its essentially a plow blade with wings:

If I need to stack higher than the pusher will, I can just install the bucket (making a quick attach system) and clean up the edges of the drive and dump the snow over the piles.

Pusher also seems to be better for the loader arms, as it pushes head on like a bucket and doesn’t need to be angled like a plow. Angling the plow has the possibily of “tweaking” the loader should I accidentally hook the plow on something solid.

So, does anyone use a snow pusher instead of the bucket and what’s your opinion on it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
What about making some shoes/skids for the side of your bucket that would ride flat on the ground when you tip your bucket forward, making it a de facto pusher? It may require making bolt on sides as part of the shoes. Then if you need to lift snow you don't even need to change implements.

Keeping your eye out for a hydraulic snow blower would be the cats meow...a project for another time. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about making some shoes/skids for the side of your bucket that would ride flat on the ground when you tip your bucket forward, making it a de facto pusher? It may require making bolt on sides as part of the shoes. Then if you need to lift snow you don't even need to change implements.

Keeping your eye out for a hydraulic snow blower would be the cats meow...a project for another time. :)
Well, the reasoning behind a snow pusher and not a bucket is the pusher doesn’t have a bottom so you don’t get snow in a bucket where you have to lift and shake to clear it. When you lift a pusher, the snow just drops out.

I’ve already got a 42” cut blower. All I need to do is source a motor and graft it on. Until that time, converting my snow blade to a pusher seems a reasonable solution.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kinda depends how much snow you get. Snow blower/thrower will move snow out of the way. And much less snow banks. I don’t know where you are in Canada. But where I am , I need blowers or throwers to move the snow. And I use a blade for clean up.
I don’t know what you have for a tractor, so maybe it’s a good size one that can do it. ? Still a blower / thrower is a better option in my mind, no matter what size tractor a person uses. A tractor with the front mount pusher and a blower on the rear would be ideal. Just my thoughts.

Noel

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, the reasoning behind a snow pusher and not a bucket is the pusher doesn’t have a bottom so you don’t get snow in a bucket where you have to lift and shake to clear it. When you lift a pusher, the snow just drops out.

I’ve already got a 42” cut blower. All I need to do is source a motor and graft it on. Until that time, converting my snow blade to a pusher seems a reasonable solution.
I get the bottom part. Looking at your bucket, if you tip it forward as if dumping so that the back/top is parallel with the ground the bottom looks like it will be at a 75 degree +/- angle with the ground, so it would not be scooping under unless you rotate the bucket back to normal position.

Frankly I doubt the pusher would be much more effective than the bucket unless you made it significantly wider. When I see pushers on front end loaders they are always much wider than a typical bucket.

Now if you found a box scraper that you could remove the 3pt or sleeve attachment and hook to the front to use as a pusher, then you could have a pusher in the winter and scraper in the summer...

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I get the bottom part. Looking at your bucket, if you tip it forward as if dumping so that the back/top is parallel with the ground the bottom looks like it will be at a 75 degree +/- angle with the ground, so it would not be scooping under unless you rotate the bucket back to normal position.

Frankly I doubt the pusher would be much more effective than the bucket unless you made it significantly wider. When I see pushers on front end loaders they are always much wider than a typical bucket.

Now if you found a box scraper that you could remove the 3pt or sleeve attachment and hook to the front to use as a pusher, then you could have a pusher in the winter and scraper in the summer...
following his other post he is building this tractorwith the idea his wife will be using it so ease of use is key. I’ve seen and agree a box blade would be multi use and good for that. Reversing a tractor with a bucket on it for 80 feet does not seem easy or fun.

a pusher is more useful than a plow for clean up purposes. When I plowed I always used my truck to windrow the snow to the edge of the lots and used a tractor with a pusher to stack it.
A pusher works good if you “cross cut” the drive way.
The one thing I will say is having a variety is great.
A plow can be fastest depending on snow.
A snow blower will take a set amount of time +\- 10% of your base average snow fall.
a pusher is worth its weight if used properly.
having all 3 will make snow removal a breeze

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Kinda depends how much snow you get. Snow blower/thrower will move snow out of the way. And much less snow banks. I don’t know where you are in Canada. But where I am , I need blowers or throwers to move the snow. And I use a blade for clean up.
I don’t know what you have for a tractor, so maybe it’s a good size one that can do it. ? Still a blower / thrower is a better option in my mind, no matter what size tractor a person uses. A tractor with the front mount pusher and a blower on the rear would be ideal. Just my thoughts.

Noel
Agreed.

I have used pickup plow rigs and IH tractor loaders, with them I find I need to cover more ground with them just to make room for future snow falls. And yes I found this out the hard way, that I had not left enough room. With the casters ability to blow the snow up and far over the edge I have not run out of room yet ;) Take a close look at my avatar, thats a 224-78 building a snow mountain just because it can ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Noel
Just over from where you are. Annapolis valley, NS.

Tractor I’m “building”:

I’m thinking I’ll convert my 48” plow to a pusher, but make the side wings/plates removable so I have the option of using like a plow of a pusher.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ya. Your not far away. Wife has relatives in Canning, NS. Maybe you don’t get the same amount of snow as I do. Wife’s relative got rid of his snowblower this year, off his JD scut because he only used it three times in five years, he said. Bought a tiller for the JD.

Your quite a builder. I’d like to have some of those skills. Neat tractor build.

Noel

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agreed.

I have used pickup plow rigs and IH tractor loaders, with them I find I need to cover more ground with them just to make room for future snow falls. And yes I found this out the hard way, that I had not left enough room. With the casters ability to blow the snow up and far over the edge I have not run out of room yet ;) Take a close look at my avatar, thats a 224-78 building a snow mountain just because it can ;)

Cheers,
Gordy
Hehe, my father always said, you gotta have room for the next storm !

Noel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya. Your not far away. Wife has relatives in Canning, NS. Maybe you don’t get the same amount of snow as I do. Wife’s relative got rid of his snowblower this year, off his JD scut because he only used it three times in five years, he said. Bought a tiller for the JD.

Your quite a builder. I’d like to have some of those skills. Neat tractor build.

Noel
Yeah, been weird winters here lately. Getting 40-60 cm in an overnight dump used to be a couple times a winter here. Now, you’re lucky if a couple cm’s stick around for a week or so. I don’t particularly want snow, but lack of it has been screwing things up here. For example: last year we had people’s septic lines from the house to the feild freezing solid. We’re got two feed and one of those froze up. Things is, we rely on the snow to cover the ground and help “insulate” the ground/piping. With snow cover, all manner of buried things have been freezing at lower depths than ever before.

I did some time in Summerside when it was still a base. The island used to get sone wicked snowfalls in winter. Not sure how it has gone lately. I haven’t been back for multiple years.

I’ve got the 42” snoblower and a toro walk behind. I’ll never get rid of them because the year I do….well, you know how that goes.

I seldom sell equipment once I’ve bought it. Just doesn’t make sense to me to get rid of something that works just because you don’t need it right now. especially with how weird the weather has gone in the last few years.

Heck, I’ve got tools in my box that I bought when I was 16. I’ve always tried to by quality over quantity and make sure I keep it clean and serviceable so it lasts. Not sure where I got that from becuase my dad was the king of “buckshee” and “buy it cheap and throw it away when it breaks”…

·
Registered
141 Posts
I hear ya on all of that. Winters are warmer in the house when there’s a bunch of snow down.
I kinda told that relative that he’s gunna wish he still had the blower. Hehe.
I come from, if you need it, make it, fix it, buy used and lastly, buy new, if you realy have too.

Noel

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've used my 6018 loader a handful of times to move snow. The 48" bucket is not big enough. If not for my 4020 with the caster I'd build a 60" box pusher for it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts