Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a case 448 with a performer 20 xsl transplanted into it. Ive used it for winter duty only but recently had to press it into mowing duty while i work on my craftsman. Last time i shut it off it ran on for a bit (it has never done that before). Today i could not get it to stay running, the plugs were wet/fouled and when i shut it off i could hear gas gurgling into the carb. After trying a few things and cleaning/drying off the plugs a couple of times with no luck, i went into the carb. I took the top off the Nikki carb (its a 6100? What are the other numbers for?) The Float and needle stayed in the carb body, took them out. Float seems good, but using a magifier i could see a ridge worn into the needle tip. I did not see any type of helper spring- should there be one?
Fast Source for a new needle?
Looked at pgs 7-2/73 of this manual for float adjustment..

I dont see a reason to remove the carb body if i can help it.
Can i do float adjustment with out removing the carb body?
Lastly, what is the best sparkplug choice and gap?
Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Cable Bicycle part
Font Material property Electric blue Label Magenta
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Machine tool Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Locking hubs Alloy wheel

So after posting i started "shopping" for a bit. I see there are brass floats as well as whatever mine are made of...Is the brass preferable?

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,528 Posts
callwill,

There is not a brass float available for the Nikki carb thus no spring is required either. Normally any repairs can be done without removing the carb body unless it needs to be soaked or ultra-sonically cleaned.

I do not have the needle available separately, but this kit should do the job at a reasonable price.

C29962 Carburetor Repair Kit Nikki (casegardentractorparts.com)

Bob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read through the overview post. Good stuff to know. In fiddling around while i wait to get parts and repair i am having a hard time figuring out how to make sure my float is set correctly with the carb on the tractor. This starts with laying it in correctly...i was not paying close attention when i took it out, is there a specific directin for that "D-ring" float hinge(left to right/right to left)? Ive tried it both ways and it wants to sit in there a bit cockeyed no matter which direction i chose. Also i noted that if i try to put the float and needle in without any fuel in the bowl, the float "angles" to a point where the needle slides out of its hanger tang. Im thinking to reuse my float and see if i can get a needle locally as i desperately need to mow, but cant figure out how to set this up from the directions ive read six times...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts