Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The 116's had an 8 year run beginning in 1984 and were LAWN TRACTORS made by another company to Ingersoll specs. For the most part, they were good machines for grass cutting and clearing snow on small properties. VALUE ??????

That would depend on a lot of things such as attachments that come with it and overall condition as the primary considerations. I've seen some nice packages sell for $300.00 to $500.00 and thought that they were well-bought for the price if someone is going to make use of it all. Rough, none-running units would bring from "take this thing away, please" to $100.00.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this one is just the tractor and mower deck, claims to have $250 in new parts on it. People have told me that the 16hp opposed engine was too much load for the front axle and too much power for the transaxle. I have some Simplicity attachments for sale on CL ad he wanted to trade me the tractor for my snow blower and blade which I was asking $500 for, said $300 cash would move the tractor though. Thinking it might make a good tractor for the wife to use compared to the 195 as she is used to the shifting of a Peerless trans.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion about ANY of the lawn tractors put out by Case or Ingersoll is almost non-existent on all the forums out there. Probably one of the reasons for that is because they just get scrapped when they stop working. No one wants to put any money into them because they will just cut grass, pull a cart and move a bit of snow. Owners of the LT's report that they were well-made and lasted for many years. I have never heard that the 16 hp engine was too much for the tractor and I find that hard to believe since Ingersoll kept right on making that model for 8 consecutive years. If there was a problem, then I'd think that dealer feedback would have halted production prior to year 5.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So its really not too bad a deal then I guess. It would be nice to have an extra mower but I'm getting tired of Simplicity and their throw away tractors and crappy dealer support around here.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
How good a deal it is will depend on what you find at the half-way point of your trip. At the very least, this guy should be meeting you at the half-way point between your respective homes to soften the travel expenses. I'm sure that you are capable of assessing the condition of that LT when you see it and then hear it run. A test drive would be in order to make sure everything work including all gears in the trans-axle. You don't want something that constantly pops out of the very gear that is best for mowing the lawn.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Hydriv said:
The 116's had an 8 year run beginning in 1984 and were LAWN TRACTORS made by another company to Ingersoll specs. For the most part, they were good machines for grass cutting and clearing snow on small properties. VALUE ??????

That would depend on a lot of things such as attachments that come with it and overall condition as the primary considerations. I've seen some nice packages sell for $300.00 to $500.00 and thought that they were well-bought for the price if someone is going to make use of it all. Rough, none-running units would bring from "take this thing away, please" to $100.00.
Made by who??? how about the other 100 series?? Were they made under contract as well?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I don't know which models were made by outside contractors but dealers have stated that many of the LT and YT models were not made in the Winneconne plant. Depending upon which year, there were companies such as Noma and Roper that were certainly into carrying out this kind of work. Even Ingersoll was active in making product for other companies so it should not come as a surprise to anyone that this was going on.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, we reached a deal and I brought it home. Like new Goodyear tires all around (thinking original) new carb, air cleaner, steering rod, belt, battery, ect. I can only get it to run well at idle or wide open but not both, carb only seems to have one adjustment needle on it. It mow and moves I guess. Needs some idler pulleys lubed or replaced. It's been a long time since I drove anything gear drive so it takes a little getting used to as far as shifting. I figure for what I have in it I could part it out and break even.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, we reached a deal and I brought it home. Like new Goodyear tires all around (thinking original) new carb, air cleaner, steering rod, belt, battery, ect. I can only get it to run well at idle or wide open but not both, carb only seems to have one adjustment needle on it. It mow and moves I guess. Needs some idler pulleys lubed or replaced. It's been a long time since I drove anything gear drive so it takes a little getting used to as far as shifting. I figure for what I have in it I could part it out and break even.
1031d - Sorry for digging up this 6 year old thread, but I am obsessed with the gear drive CASE lawn tractors because of their durability and small size (I have close together trees on my 1 acre property.) So, I am curious as to the final outcome of the 116 that you picked up here. Did you keep and use it or part it? I remain an outcast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.