Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My recently acquired 1982 case 220 has a blown rod,should I rebuild or replace,i’m leaning towards replace because i can get a good used engine for$100. And another question, this is supposed to have a k241 but once I pulled the motor I found it to be stamped k301.Is this a factory booboo or has the motor been swapped. It has a k241 blower shroud.
-Tommy

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't know the answer offhand, but it is possible that Kohler could have machined a casting marked K301 to k241 spec's. You could measure the cylinder and that'll tell you. If it's under 3.375 inches, then it's a K241. If it's over 3.375, then it's been repowered, maybe with a short block.

And if I could get a good used engine for $100, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.

Bob

·
Registered
300 Posts
Is the $100 engine from a Case/Ingersoll? Kohler made many configurations of the K series engine for different applications. The crankshaft on the Case/Ingersoll engines is unique.

I just had my K321 rebuilt. It was about a $1,200 proposition but it should last another 35 years. I hired out the rebuild, so you could save some $ doing it yourself.

Your crank looks pretty scarred up. If it cannot be cleaned up to .010, a replacement will be $125+. Check the block for cracks. The rod taking a chunk out of the bottom of the cylinder wall is pretty common and usually okay as the rings do not go down that far. My block had a 3" crack hiding behind the starter.

Coby Dog came to the rescue with a k321 that had a good block. Others on the site offered blocks for a k241 but those would not work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is the $100 engine from a Case/Ingersoll? Kohler made many configurations of the K series engine for different applications. The crankshaft on the Case/Ingersoll engines is unique.

I just had my K321 rebuilt. It was about a $1,200 proposition but it should last another 35 years. I hired out the rebuild, so you could save some $ doing it yourself.

Your crank looks pretty scarred up. If it cannot be cleaned up to .010, a replacement will be $125+. Check the block for cracks. The rod taking a chunk out of the bottom of the cylinder wall is pretty common and usually okay as the rings do not go down that far. My block had a 3" crack hiding behind the starter.

Coby Dog came to the rescue with a k321 that had a good block. Others on the site offered blocks for a k241 but those would not work.

Good luck!
And the block used in Case's has a boss/ring cast into it that the pump mount mates to. It isn't impossible to mount the pump to a block without that boss, but it adds difficulty.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts