Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background, I recently bought a Case 220 powered with a Kohler K241. There have a few minor items needing attention (oil change, carb work, deck belt, etc.) that I have enjoyed working on and have not had any issues finding the new parts for, but now the starter/generator support bracket broke.
I have searched for the bracket local and online and cannot find one, is there another manufacturer/alternative bracket that would work on my setup or could someone let me know where I can find the bracket required. I appreciate any help that can be given.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I guess a better question would be, would any Kohler K241 support bracket work, such as one from another tractor make like a Cub Cadet?
I doubt if the Cub Cadet would be correct, as the Cub's actually mount the generator spinning the reverse direction from the case. So the chances of the bracket being the same are not good.

Is what you're looking for just a gently curved bar of steel with a 6-in long slot in it? Or something more intricate?

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigman,
Thanks a lot for the link, it was a huge help! I was able to compare 2 parts catalogs (1 for my 220 and 1 catalog newer) and think I figure it out why I couldn’t find a bracket that looked like mine.
Both catalogs/diagrams pictures looked like the bracket on my 220, but the 2nd catalog gave a different part number (catalog 1: C14204 / catalog 2: C18788)
I couldn’t find anything searching the first part number, but when I searched the newer part number I found a few new ones online and they didn’t look like mine or the pictures in either diagram.
I think they may have redesigned the bracket to beef it up a little bit. The one I have (and the catalogs show) is a pretty thin L shaped piece (mine snapped at the bend) and the ones I found online were thicker and have 2 reinforced arms extending out.
Thanks again for helping me out and for the welcome. This is a great forum, before I posted I visited and learned a lot from everyone on here (changing hydraulic system oil, carb info and more).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bob,
Just saw your post, thanks for responding.
The part that broke was the support arm/bracket that bolts to the side of the block.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Wheel

Both parts catalogs/diagrams pictured the same one
White Product Font Line Auto part

When I searched the second part number 3 brackets came up that looked like this.

Rectangle Wood Revolver Font Gun barrel

I ordered this one, so I hope my redesign theory is right?

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,649 Posts
Jase, me I would just use what I have and fix it. Possibly add a gusset to beef it up and weld it. I know everyone doesn't have the resources that I have though. Welcome to the CCI forum and I look forward to hearing more from you in future posts.

Keep the Peace ✌
Harry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, both have good advice. I probably should have just took it to a weld/metal shop and saved the aggravation. I already ordered the new one, but I am going to have the old one fixed/beefed up as recommended and keep it as a spare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received the new starter/generator support bracket and it fit perfectly.
Automotive tire Wood Fender Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Light Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

For anyone else that may run into the same problem, part# C18788 (installed above) is a redesign and works as a direct replacement for part# C14204.

At least on mine it took 2 sockets (9/16 and 1/2) and a pry bar and only about 5 minutes to replace.

Part # C14204 looks like this off the tractor:
Plant Wood Motor vehicle Asphalt Grass

1 - 12 of 12 Posts