Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I've had this Case 220 Tractor for some time now. I have taken some pictures and am starting the restoration with the deck. The tractor is a 1972 Case 220 S/N 966****. It's obviously powered by a K241 Kohler 10 HP engine, and I have a plow attachment with the three hole lift hitch (not sure of the actual name for it) and I have an H44 mower deck that came with the tractor.

The tractor was a hand-me down though the family 2 generations now. I don't yet know how bad the engine is, but it still turns over easily with the starter/generator. It was running and mowing 5 years ago when I last got it to start. The mower would bog down in any type of grass (more on that later). The mower would drive well and had very little leaks, or so I thought. I never ran the mower dry.

The fuel pump went bad before I parked it. I replaced the pump and then the clutch disc for the PTO immediately quit. I then parked it until today, when I decided it was time for a restoration.









 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well I got the mower deck removed, which was relatively easy. I was able to get the bracket (I think its called mule off with some ease. Some of the pins are missing because some a-hole tried to steal my tractor years ago when I lived in town, but it was obviously built to well and was too heavy for the guy to steal it. The deck was partially disconnected in an attempt to lighten the load, if the guy knew just how easy it was to remove the deck.

I took the deck into the barn and placed it on 2 55 gallon drums so that I could start the disassembly and cleaning. I decided to restore the deck first, because without it there is little sense for me to restore the tractor, as it will be my mower. I removed the cover plate to expose the three spindles. I quickly realized why the mower didn't work well. The idler was totally frozen and the bearing had disintegrated. The left spindle came out with ease. The right spindle needed a little persuasion of the sledge hammer kind, but it came apart relatively easy. The center spindle wont come out yet, I may have to end up cutting it out. I tried heating it with the Oxy torch, chisel, hammer, etc. and it wont come out.

I found a new center spindle online, so I will try to salvage the pulley and bearing housing while destroying the spindle. I will be finishing the top of the deck with new paint and decals. Anyone suggestions on the underside, (i.e. undercoating, rhino lining, por-15, etc.) would be appreciated. There are no rust holes in the deck, and I still have the scalping rollers (apparently that is a heavy score).

While using the BFH (hammer) I knocked the deck off the drums, onto my foot, so I added a hospital visit expense to my restoration. Needless to say, the newer mower decks are not built like this one.









 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
Oh the pain we endure for the love of our GT's...

Great material to work with!

As far as the stuck shaft, I'd take one last stab by applying some heat to the shaft, and applying some beeswax, reheat, apply some more. My favorite tool is an air chisel with a blunt tip straight down on the shaft. I keep the nut in place to prevent major distortion.

Great start on the project!

Ray W
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top