Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with the blades on my 222 disengaging while cutting the grass. The engagement lever will back off while mowing of I don’t hold it in the engaged position.
Does anyone know know what causes this? Does my clutch/pto need adjusting?
Last work I had done to the tractor was 1-2 years ago when we took the deck off to replace some belts.
Cheers,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
When you engage the clutch is there a distinct feel of it snapping into place? There should be as the fork goes over center in the cams. You did not mention the year, so not sure if you have the old shim adjust clutch or the newer EZ adjust clutch. So here is the link to the clutch manuals directory.

With the engine turned off and the clutch disengaged there should be .002-.007" between the clutch pad and the wear plate.

The clutch assembly takes 3 bearings, should be the same as the mower deck bearings. If you don't know how old they are, I recommend replacing them. I had a clutch that lost adjustment, turned out it was the bearing in the front cam. By the time I figured that out the bearing had burned up and seized the inner face to the shaft. Remember the bearings in the cams are spinning all the time the engine is running, the bearing in the pulley only spins when the clutch is disengaged.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gordy - thanks for the quick reply.
Model number is 222-78. I think it is a 1978.
I do not feel it snap in into place when engaging, but I don’t ever remember it snapping into place over the years it’s always engaged very smoothly.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Gordy - thanks for the quick reply.
Model number is 222-78. I think it is a 1978.
I do not feel it snap in into place when engaging, but I don’t ever remember it snapping into place over the years it’s always engaged very smoothly.
Ryan
I don't know why Case did not continue to do it, but yes the -78 is the year. So it is the EZ adjust clutch. If you look in the manuals you will see how the fork engages the cams.The flat tips of the fork rotate a bit over center to give that click or snap on the lever as you engage or disengage it. Also that over center action is what holds the clutch engaged.

Cheers,
Gordy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts