Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our weather here has dropped below freezing the last week, and a couple of days ago I went out to set my 222 up to move snow around. It has a tiller mounted at the moment.

To my surprise, I can't get it to move. Any attempt to go in either direction just bogs the motor down. The tiller lifts and rotates fine, and I can see the feed hydraulic line down below the seat stiffen up when I move the drive lever in either direction. Also, the high-low level is frozen up, too, and won't move at all.

Could I have gotten some water in the system somewhere that has frozen up? Otherwise I'm bamboozled.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, had a 444 wouldn't move in the freezing cold.Had a gallon of water in the rear diff. A solid ice lump. Couldn't push it in neutral either. Can you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, had a 444 wouldn't move in the freezing cold.Had a gallon of water in the rear diff. A solid ice lump. Couldn't push it in neutral either. Can you?
No. It won't move at all. We're supposed to get below zero in a few days. Should I try to thaw it out, and if so--since I don't have heated storage--I hope there is a way to get that water out of there?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
No. It won't move at all. We're supposed to get below zero in a few days. Should I try to thaw it out, and if so--since I don't have heated storage--I hope there is a way to get that water out of there?
Slide a pan of charcoal brickets under it for a few hours. Then drain the transaxle and add fresh grease. This is pretty common with older agriculture tractors. I had a JD model B freeze up a long time ago. I fired up some charcoal in a mettle bucket and put it under the transmission. The tractor was sitting outside with a good breeze blowing. I placed some sheets of tin around the tractor to block the wind It took 3-4 hours to thaw it out. To drain the water out of something with that much grease in it you had to loosen the drain plug out to the last few threads, then the water would seep out around the plug threads. You didn't want to pull the plug all the way out unless you had someplace for 12 gallons of grease to go.

·
FieldOfDreams
36 Posts
Get a magnetic block heater. I had my Allis loader tractor freeze up a couple years ago. Put a couple of those heaters on the transmission/differential for a few hours. Everything thawed out quite nicely. Drained the water. Good to go.

Call around to some of your mechanic friends. Might be able to borrow a couple to solve your problem. When you return the magnet, take a some Christmas cookies along. "Grease the skids"

Good Luck

Al Wichmann

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
As everyone has indicated,

Warm it up, If you have a heat gun, or (beg for forgiveness first) wife's hair dryer, heat lamp, all facing blowing at the bottom of the case.

Then move your tractor to a convenient spot and pull the lower drain plug, to drain the oil out.

With a 222 I'm not sure about this, but on a 446, standing looking from the rear of the tractor, you can remove one of the case top bolts,, usually the left one, and refill with specified oil. To refill, remove the plug that sits at the back of the case, midway up, and fill till the oil just starts to come back out. I forget, but it'll be 2 or 3 qts you'll need to fill.

I should add, having water in there, is a fairly common problem if the oil isn't changed regularly

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have had 2 with freeze up like that, i vote for magnetic heater. I have one double element, i put on the Kohler engine a while before starting. So you will find more uses for it after, if you by one, LOL..............Curt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a heat lamp and put it on it for a few hours until I could rock it back and forth a bit.

Indeed, it looked like about at least a half-gallon of water was in it. I opened the bottom plug until the water quit and oil started, and then topped it off until I can get it inside and out of the cold snowy weather. Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts