Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired an early Case 222 and have a question about the PTO clutch. When you engage the PTO handle back and forth I can see that there is clearly a gap between the clutch plates, but for some reason the pulley spins even when disengaged when the engine is running.

When I shut it off, the pulley continues to spin for about 30 seconds before it slows to a stop. Is there an adjustment I need to make to the gap? Or is there something else wrong internally with the clutch mechanism?

Thanks in advance,
bandsaw12

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray,

So is it also common for the pulley to begin to spin without being engaged? I assume if I had a snowcaster on the drag from the belt would keep the pulley from freewheeling?

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,213 Posts
If it spins for the sort of time that you note, then it is NOW time to change the bearings in the clutch.

Basically, for the pulley to spin on like that, it means there is little to no grease in the bearing to put drag on it ...

I strongly recommend new clutch bearings before you do any extended work with it.

Brian
www.salempwr.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brian,
Is there a rebuild kit for these clutches or can you buy these bearings individually? Are the original part numbers still correct?

·
1,275 Posts
Good point Brian. Forgot to point out mine free spins for like 2 minutes or more before it stops if there is no attachment.

Bandsaw there is no kit. You ll need 3 bearings and you can buy them individually. Your best bet is to take all the pieces off and inspect them and see what kind of shape they are in. Typical replacement is the bearings, wave washers and the Bellevue spring washers. Those compress too much over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts