Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out plowing snow with my case 222 witch has a kohler k301 engine was running great for about 45 minutes then started spitting and sputtering acting like it wanted to die. Ran long enough for me to get it back into the barn. Has brand new points condensor coil and a rebuilt carb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i was plowing the other day with my 4018 with p218 and it did the same thing. no new snow for couple days so when we did get some i went out made sure plug wires were on tight on both ends. started it up and it has been fine since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will look into that just doesn't make sense to me.. Ran for a couple hours yesterday blowing snow and it ran great been running great until today.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Check all wire connections especially those you had worked with, are they still tight? Also if you rerouted any wires, check for worn insulation where they might be rubbing. A common place to check is where the wire enters the points cover.

You mentioned a new coil. Are you sure you got one rated for the breaker point system? There is a different one looks the same but is for electronic ignition systems, and will crap out quickly if used on a breaker system.

:cheers:
Gordy

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You could have sucked some trash in the carb. Did the fuel lines and filter get replaced recently?

As others suggested it could be an ignition system problem too.

I might question the coil as well. I have seen several Kohlers with engine mounted coils have problems over the past few years. The "replacements" are not made the same as the originals, (epoxy filled instead of oil) and don't like the heat and vibration of the engine. I have relocated coils off the engine to solve this problem. If you do find it's the coil, you may want to consider relocating it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts