Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im considering the purchase of a case 224 GT but the hydraulic pump is 'weak'. Its my understanding that these pumps arent cheap... correct me if im wrong. Are there any retrofit options available that are reasonably priced?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hyd. pumps for the Case and Ingersoll GT's aren't "cheap", but that's relative I suppose. Depending on the exact year and model, prices can range from around $250-$400. And there are many aftermarket pumps avaliable, just make sure you get one that will match your tractor properly. Ask around on this forum and someone will have the right information for you. Consider also that this tractor might be worth quite a bit if it comes with some impliments, regardless of a weak hydraulic system. These tractors are worth fixing, just ask anyone here!

Not all hydraulic system problems are related to the pump. If you don't know the history of your tractor, there is a decent possibility that it just needs an oil change (use 15w-40 or 20w-50) and to have the pressure checked in the system. I suggest you read all you can about this in the tech section, you never know when some other component of the tractor is to blame... Travel valve releif, worn drive motor, plugged inlet screen before the pump...

Besides that, welcome to the group!

Rob

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Dylly said:
Hi, im considering the purchase of a case 224 GT but the hydraulic pump is 'weak'. Its my understanding that these pumps arent cheap... correct me if im wrong. Are there any retrofit options available that are reasonably priced?
If you are considering this purchase, then you are obviously relying on what someone has told you about the pump or you are just guessing. Either way, that's not how to diagnose the problem. If it does turn out to be the pump, a replacement unit can be had for less than $230.00. If you think that's too expensive, then you should look for a different brand of tractor. However, if you are in the market for a rock-solid garden tractor that is easy to work on and is built to give many years of service, then the 224 meets those specifications. Prior to making this deal, I suggest that you get the serial number off of the plaque on the dash tower and snap a few photos to show us. We can advise you as to the year and what it is worth. Just so you know, the current replacement cost for that 224 would be north of five grand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had called up a near by case dealer to price out what a hydraulic pump would be and the parts man said, "The last time I priced out a rebuilt pump for one of these, it was around $1300." Now that's an expensive pump.

I guess the point is moot now, the tractor just sold today haha. Thanks for the help though guys.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well just because that one sold doesn't mean your out of luck, you stumbled accross the best CASE lawn and garden site around. Stop into our 2 for sale forums , you may never know what you may find

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Dylly said:
I had called up a near by case dealer to price out what a hydraulic pump would be and the parts man said, "The last time I priced out a rebuilt pump for one of these, it was around $1300." Now that's an expensive pump.

I guess the point is moot now, the tractor just sold today haha. Thanks for the help though guys.
You found your way here and joined. I suggest that you spend a lot more time here in two areas. The first area is the FAQ's. Read the documents there and learn quickly about various aspects of these tractors. The second area is the Classified forum. Read and absorb as many of the threads as you can. There you will learn about what to look for in the way of OPTIONAL equipment as well as the attachments available. Knowing HOW to quickly evaluate the next tractor package you come across can mean the difference between getting it or losing it to someone more savvy than yourself. Once you buy and get to operate your first, properly running Case or Ingersoll GT, you will understand why those who own them, love them and don't want anything else. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.