Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Case 224
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a transmission/hydraulic issue with a friend's case 224. It worked great the first time I used it to cut the lawn. The next time had trouble getting it to move, then it seemed to keep slipping out of gear. After awhile I decided to bring it back to the shed, it then started to spray oil (bust hose?). I shut it down and with help, pushed it back.
Suggestions for what caused the initial no-go? I’ve looked around and cannot find any conversations covering this issue. I printed out an owner’s manual and they already have a parts manual.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is no transmission, just a hydraulic pump, valves and hydraulic motor. It sounds like you had a hydraulic fluid leak. No fluid to pump, no go. Check the reservoir behind the dash. Fluid should be 6" down from the top. Remember, the fluid is oil, NOT hydraulic fluid or transmission fluid. Fix the leaky hose put the proper amount of oil in and hope for the best.

·
Registered
Case 224
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no transmission, just a hydraulic pump, valves and hydraulic motor. It sounds like you had a hydraulic fluid leak. No fluid to pump, no go. Check the reservoir behind the dash. Fluid should be 6" down from the top. Remember, the fluid is oil, NOT hydraulic fluid or transmission fluid. Fix the leaky hose put the proper amount of oil in and hope for the best.
Thanks; guess it could have been leaking and didn't notice. Back out there this weekend and will follow your recommendation. After doing some reading, its imprinted in my brain that it takes motor oil.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Have a transmission/hydraulic issue with a friend's case 224. It worked great the first time I used it to cut the lawn. The next time had trouble getting it to move, then it seemed to keep slipping out of gear. After awhile I decided to bring it back to the shed, it then started to spray oil (bust hose?). I shut it down and with help, pushed it back.
Suggestions for what caused the initial no-go? I’ve looked around and cannot find any conversations covering this issue. I printed out an owner’s manual and they already have a parts manual.
this might sound crazy but was the parking break on? If not then check fluid level. Was there any oil under the tractor?

·
Registered
Case 224
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this might sound crazy but was the parking break on? If not then check fluid level. Was there any oil under the tractor?
Break was not on, and I do not remember if I checked the oil before starting (happened last fall). It will be very low now, since the hose blew. Still need to make time to replace hose and refill; hopefully that's it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts