Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Case 224
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using friend's Case 224 this past weekend and I could not move the lever into low range; only high and neutral. It's a little hairy doing work and reversing in high. Any help would be appreciated.
Alf

·
Registered
634 Posts
Using friend's Case 224 this past weekend and I could not move the lever into low range; only high and neutral. It's a little hairy doing work and reversing in high. Any help would be appreciated.
Alf
My first thought, if it is cold up there, may be ice in the rear end...........Curt

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,386 Posts
Alf
Maybe try putting the machine in neutral and run it in forward for awhile then reverse to warm up the oil. Then try to get it into low.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Alf
These tractors have straight cut gears in the rear end. The most common solution to your problem is to either rock the tractor while pulling the lever to low, or pull the lever to low and at the same time ezz the travel lever forward or reverse, it generally slides into low then. I remember having a mini heart attack the first time it happened to me ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don’t use either of mine in high range other than to try it and have a little fun. Have never had any trouble switching. Like what has been mentioned, just rock it back and forth, or move the travel lever while lightly pulling it to low range. And have engine on idle.

Noel

·
Registered
Case 224
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Yup it's cold up here -30c/-22f. Had no choice but to use high, do not recommend it, too nervy. As it has a cab on it, I'll have to ask my trusty friend to help this weekend; a lot more snow to clear.
Alf

·
Registered
634 Posts
You may have to get it in to warm up, and drain the fluid, if it is milky, need to rinse it and put fresh in. I just went through mine, that milky sure hangs on and inside ( car wash and pressure wash, before cold ) Now have 15 / 40 synthetic Rotella. New cover gasket, and found that the bolt spacers were missing ( frame bent where the bolt go, not no more, got in through the bolt holes with a punch, I had my tractor all apart.)...........Curtt

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes! Mine kept getting water in there even though I had new gasket a few years ago. So this fall I tore the hole tractor down and am going through it. Found a lot of stuff wrong, and fixing.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Asphalt
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas

I just got tired of doing little things to it, and decided to go through it ..............Curt

·
Registered
Case 224
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Arrrrg! I think I'm learning more than I wanted:), but would be better in the long run. I will make note of it and maybe this summer. Hopefully I can get it into low this weekend using the the less drastic measures you guys have advised (there's a lot of new snow). Alf

·
Registered
208 Posts
Arrrrg! I think I'm learning more than I wanted:), but would be better in the long run. I will make note of it and maybe this summer. Hopefully I can get it into low this weekend using the the less drastic measures you guys have advised (there's a lot of new snow). Alf
From Curt's picture above you will see the low gear on the upper left and the high gear on the upper right. Note how much beefier the low gear is. Low gear is made for doing work. High gear is for travelling from point A to point B.

·
Registered
Case 224
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I let it warm up, rocked her and it slide into low no problem. Thanks everyone very much.

As a footnote, when I went to use the snow blower found out the drive/roller chain for the auger had come off (two weeks ago). After digging through 200' of foot deep snow, found it:) Just need a new connector.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,386 Posts
I let it warm up, rocked her and it slide into low no problem. Thanks everyone very much.

As a footnote, when I went to use the snow blower found out the drive/roller chain for the auger had come off (two weeks ago). After digging through 200' of foot deep snow, found it:) Just need a new connector.
I'm glad warming up the oil helped.
Some master links have a spring clip to hold it together. I've seen others that have cotter pins that hold the link together. The spring clip kind are more common.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
208 Posts

Stainless steel chains and links are a nice option. I just replaced mine. I was amazed how "stretched" (and rusted) my old chain was.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts

I'm glad warming up the oil helped.
Some master links have a spring clip to hold it together. I've seen others that have cotter pins that hold the link together. The spring clip kind are more common.

Keep the Peace
Harry

It's been so long since I've seen the cotter pinned ones, I had forgotten about them.

Rim Auto part Font Fashion accessory Metal

This is the most common around here. If you don't know, it is important how you assemble these with the spring clip. You need to look at the rotation of the chain and make sure the rounded end of the clip is facing forward as the chain rotates. If it is on the other way, at speed it does not take much of a rock or ice chip to to hook the split end of the clip and push it off.

Cheers,
Gordy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts