Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1984 CASE 226 powered be a 1985-ish 16 hp Onan. Running half throttle. 50lbs on front, 2 sets of 400 series wheel weights on floor by seat, and one 73lbs cub wheel weight on the left side. Could use a few more lbs on the front.
This is peat type soil, it's real soft and when it's wet its a no-go with the big machinery so I boldly went where no garden tractor has gone before and plowed up this field for dad since the big tractor would get stuck.
I was amazed I was able to pull it through areas that had water in the furrow! YouTube video to come.
Notice cattails growing. :wtf: :crazy: :thumbup:
Not all of it was wet.
I need to get this thing painted up nice and represent Case in some of these plowing shows. To many Cubs and JD's in the line up's!

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Mike: That is amazing, what a nice setup, your tractor is kicking butt! Mighty mucky soil. That's what we have in the wetlands on Long Island or in the whale wallows in Virginia.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
128 Posts
did you have the rims widened or buy them somewhere?I agree with you on the plow days I went to one last year ther was 1 other case there besides me I would not worry about the paint I think it still loks great just go show them others how its done case style!!!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigplow said:
did you have the rims widened or buy them somewhere?I agree with you on the plow days I went to one last year ther was 1 other case there besides me I would not worry about the paint I think it still loks great just go show them others how its done case style!!!
I bought them. I also had to have spacers made so the rim would not contact the hydraulic motor on the left side. Getting those tires to bead up on the rim was no easy thing either. I had to go to 2 different tire shops, and they even had a rough time with them.
I'm amazed at the power at half throttle. When I hit a hard spot the front comes up a few inches and the relief valve sequels, in most cases it just keeps scratch'n forward.

For plow days next year I need to do some preventative strengthening/maintenance to some areas on the tractor and replace some hoses that are old along with a few other things. I don't want to be the one being pulled back to the trailer by a Cub or JD :thumbdown: :roll:

My distant future plans are to put a 20 or 24 hp Onan on it for plowing along with an upgrade to a larger oil cooler to keep things cool during those long hard hot days of pulling. It's been a fun thing to mess with.

The two problems with such wide wheels is in order to get traction you need a ton of extra weight and if you are plowing behind a guy with a 10" or smaller plow the wheel doesn't fit in the furrow. :wtf: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also built the gauge wheel on the plow. It really helps with the plow adjustment in different types of soil.

I'll post more on this in the workshop section.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you guys like my rear so much. :wink: I have included a bonus picture for you with both Cub wheel weights installed.
It's almost as wide as it is long. :lol:

·
Banned
1,373 Posts
I can't get over how black the soil is up there....down here with all the clay it is a milk chocolate brown with some moisture, and a light tan color when dry. that stuff looks like it's FULL of nutrients for your crops.
That's a nice plot you have to work with there, looks like the little 226 handled that without even breaking a sweat. Good job and thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the video. I put some footage of my 224 with a 10" brinley up this past spring. It looked like this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_OlS8LDDg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTLhwWmzqgQ

I want to see your machine making short work of all that beautiful rich dark soil up there!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.