Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a case 444 but found out the Kohler will smoke (black smoke) little on start up if it is choked then quit. What would cause that .....is this something I should be overly concerned about? Does the valves need to be reseated or new piston rings at some point later or is that normal when choked?

It is a case 444 garden tractor with a snowblower that really looks good with all original paint. It really looks like it wasn't overly used to much at all....It is pretty clean looking. The snowblower looks almost new even. The owner was it his mid 80's....has recently passed away.
What would be a rough estimate of value of this tractor.....thanks Brad

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
When looking at a used tractor, it is a good move to record the serial number. That way, it is easy for us to figure what year it is. With no serial or photos, it is a huge guess as to value.

Black smoke indicates an overly rich fuel mixture and nothing to really worry about. It may well be that this engine has not had proper servicing for some time. Should you decide to purchase it, then you should do the following once you get it home.

1. Remove the head and then clean the carbon from the undersides of the valves as well as the top of the piston and in the combustion chamber in the head. You will need a new head gasket.

2. Check the valve seats to make sure they are not burnt or cracked.

3. Set the valve lash.

4. Replace the points and condensor and then set the timing.

5. Replace the Hi-Tension lead from the coil to the spark plug

6. Install the correct spark plug after gapping it.

7. Buy a can of Seafoam fuel additive and follow the directions on the label.

8. Check the air filter element and replace if dirty.

If you do all of those things, then you will have brought the engine back into original specifications and it should run great. Of course, this would be a good time to change the oil once it is nice and warm. Use only 30 weight in it during temps above freezing. In minus freezing temps, use 10W30 but keep a sharp eye on the dipstick.

A decent running 444 tractor is worth $500.00 all day long. A nice snowblower is worth $350.00 on average and it could be worth as much as $500.00 if it is in really mint condition.

What are they asking for it?

By the way, I am going to move this thread to the main forum once you reply again, as it more properly belongs there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 1977 case he is selling it for a $1000...I think I am going to go ahead and buy it. It also comes with snow chains. I will let you know..... Thanks guys :grin: :grin:

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
Even if the worst case scenario were to happen (rebuild the engine) you're not going to be out nearly the amount of money you would be if it were an Onan engine.

The Kohlers are great engines that are very reasonable to rebuild and last a long time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys...I will try to post pictures when I get it. I will eventually buy some stuff I want for it a piece at a time every year. I know it will be a little costly but not in a big hurry and it will be exactly what I want and need when finished. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.