Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
79 Case 444
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 Case 444 which I am going through to make everything work properly. I am working on repairing the hydraulics as the old hydraulic hoses have brittle sheathing to the point that there is no more sheathing on the lines. The issue I have is with the hydraulic lift hoses. I wanted to get C17224 and C17734, however they were replaced with C43882 and C43905. These hoses do not have the same hydraulic pipe section which connects to the valve(travel valve?). I also am having issues getting the hose to the lift cylinder. I am sure that there is a way that the parts work correctly, but I can not seem to figure it out. Has anyone else had this issue? I will post pictures when I get back home. Also, does anyone have the original parts, or is there a way to connect new hose to the old metal pipe? The serial number of the tractor is 9766845. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Administrator
4,138 Posts
Since you have the old hoses for patterns, is it not simpler to go to your local hydraulic shop and have them made? [Bonus, those boys and gals are good friends to have.]

·
79 Case 444
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestion, and I do plan to make friends with them in the future. Unfortunately, I ordered a part online instead of working with them. The issue I currently have is with the special fitting. On the attached photo, you can see where the pipe comes off the T fitting and then makes a 180 degree turn and goes up between the frame rail. There, the metal pipe is crimped onto the hydraulic hose, which goes to the lift cylinder. Also, the picture is not mine, I just am away from home and unable to take a picture until tonight.

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/tchyted/media/005.jpg.html

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
I have a 79 Case 444 which I am going through to make everything work properly. I am working on repairing the hydraulics as the old hydraulic hoses have brittle sheathing to the point that there is no more sheathing on the lines. The issue I have is with the hydraulic lift hoses. I wanted to get C17224 and C17734, however they were replaced with C43882 and C43905. These hoses do not have the same hydraulic pipe section which connects to the valve(travel valve?). I also am having issues getting the hose to the lift cylinder. I am sure that there is a way that the parts work correctly, but I can not seem to figure it out. Has anyone else had this issue? I will post pictures when I get back home. Also, does anyone have the original parts, or is there a way to connect new hose to the old metal pipe? The serial number of the tractor is 9766845. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
Eric, based off your picture, and the picture of the parts you've ordered,

Having done the same twice in the last year,, there's no reason that I can see that the new parts won't fit. They are shaped a bit different, IE, they don't hang down near as much, but it should bolt up with no problem for you.

What is the problem you believe you're having? Let me guess,, would it be connecting one of the hoses to the top of the cylinder? Where, you need a "I think" it's a 45 degree fitting,,?

Top hose went in, over the top of the rock shaft, and then (looking from the front to the back, hard left over into the center of the channel. The bottom hose, went over the rock shaft, as well, (if memory serves me correctly,) and then it followed beside the routing of the first hose. To prevent chaffing between the 2 hoses,

I used this method,,, one nylon safety tie strap, around both hoses, pulled together but not tight,,(very important) then I used a 2nd tie wrap, (the piece that's visible between the 2 hoses?) stick the 2nd tie wrap through in between the 2 hoses and wrap that first tie wrap with the second one,, now, pull it tight as you can get it. Finish tightening your first tie wrap tight.

What you should now have is,, the 2 hoses tightened together very tight, with the space of the second tie wrap, providing a nice little gap between the 2 hoses. That, will never chafe.

Post 131 explains this in this write up,, with pictures

http://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/24918-Case-1967-195-Model/page4

·
79 Case 444
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am going to take another look at it tonight. It just seems like the hoses are rubbing on everything around. Did you use the angled adapters on the hydraulics and did you go up above the axis for the rocker shaft assembly (the piece that the mower/snowcaster gets attached to which is rotated by the lift cylinder)? I thought about leaving everything below the frame, but that wasn't working either and i like everything hidden in the frame rail. Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
79 Case 444
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the picture you attached now. It also feels like I am forcing things together, especially when I have to make the 180 degree turn upwards after leaving the travel control valve. Also, for the 45 degree fitting, I put the o ring side against the cylinder and I wasn't sure if that was correct either.

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
Also, for the 45 degree fitting, I put the o ring side against the cylinder and I wasn't sure if that was correct either.
Yep, you have it correct,, That fitting as well,, should be, pointing somewhat towards the side rail,, reduces the harshness of the bending of the hose.

As well, the 2 hoses, the ends leaving the TCV,, they should be angled somewhat towards that side rail,, there shouldn't be really harsh hard bends there,,

Sounds like you're doing fine to me,,

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I see the picture you attached now. It also feels like I am forcing things together, especially when I have to make the 180 degree turn upwards after leaving the travel control valve. Also, for the 45 degree fitting, I put the o ring side against the cylinder and I wasn't sure if that was correct either.
It's probably self evident, to those who wrench a lot but I made a simple but costly mistake on hydraulic hose fitting, last yr.

Being in a sort of hurry, I didn't think to connect the more difficult connection first and then wrestled with the other end, stripping a fitting in the process.

Again, probably obvious but a good habit to get into, is to always make the more difficult connection first.

·
79 Case 444
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear about your stripped fitting. Thank you everyone for the help. I have it installed and feel confident about it.

·
Administrator
3,484 Posts
Eric,

The current replacement hoses for the originals should come with the correct fittings to make them work on the Travel Control Valve (TCV) and the lift cylinder. The 45 degree fitting should go into the top of the lift cylinder and I also think one (or both) of the newer replacement hoses should have 90 (or so) degree fitting that connect to the lift ports on the TCV. To my recollection, T-fittings are used when you have a three-point hitch on the back. I can't see your pictures but, assuming you have the correct replacement lift hoses, they should work.

·
79 Case 444
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your reply. I do have a 3pt and I think that is why the hoses were tight. They seem to want to stay down by the steering gear rather than being tucked fully in the frame rail like the original hardware. It is all hooked up and working, but I will be removing the engine in two weekends to replace oil pan gasket. I will recheck the lines then.

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I do have a 3pt and I think that is why the hoses were tight. They seem to want to stay down by the steering gear rather than being tucked fully in the frame rail like the original hardware. It is all hooked up and working, but I will be removing the engine in two weekends to replace oil pan gasket. I will recheck the lines then.
Eric, on mine, I found that after a bit of playing around I could sort of get the natural bend to want to push towards that side rail. If you're taking the motor out in a couple of weeks, it'll then be a perfect opportunity to look it over and make adjustments having a clear look of sight on it,,

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I've run into this problem with my 444. The short hose on the lift cylinder is leaking. I went up to Barneveld to get a replacement hose. I took my old hose along for comparison. The original hose has a male 1/4" NPT going into the lift cylinder. The new hose kit has a 45 degree fitting that has an male O-ring fitting, and a male fitting that fits into the female fitting of the hose. The O-ring fitting has different threads than the 1/4" NPT, and I don't feel that this set up will work. Have any of you guy's put this hose kit on and not have it leak later on?

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
For the lift cylinder fitting, I've got 2 setup this way,, with no leaks,

Fitting part # 218-5134 That's the fitting that has the Oring on it. Hose go onto that male end and that's all I've had to use. It works better because it gives me the ability to orient it the way I want. Approx 20 months on the first setup,, 12 months on the second one,

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
For the lift cylinder fitting, I've got 2 setup this way,, with no leaks,

Fitting part # 218-5134 That's the fitting that has the Oring on it. Hose go onto that male end and that's all I've had to use. It works better because it gives me the ability to orient it the way I want. Approx 20 months on the first setup,, 12 months on the second one,
Just to make sure I have this right. The 45 degree fitting goes on the lift cylinder. Does the o-rig side go in the lift cylinder, then the backing nut is tightened once the hose/45 degree fitting s in position?

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
Yes, that's what Ive done, at least if my memory is correct. Now, when I bought those hoses, 2 fittings came with the kit.

part # 218-5134, that's the piece with the oring,
The other fitting was part number 218-1093,, do you have that part number? It can be used as well, and it is NPT

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yes, that's what Ive done, at least if my memory is correct. Now, when I bought those hoses, 2 fittings came with the kit.

part # 218-5134, that's the piece with the oring,
The other fitting was part number 218-1093,, do you have that part number? It can be used as well, and it is NPT
No, that fitting didn't come with the hose kit. While I was at Barneveld I bought part # 218-5056 which is the fitting that goes into the control valve that the hose attaches to. I tried using the 45 degree fitting, that has the o-ring on it, in the cylinder. It screwed into the lift cylinder, but I couldn't get the hose bent far enough to get it attached to the fitting. So I ended up using the fitting # 218-5056 in the cylinder. Since it is a straight fitting I didn't have much trouble getting the hose onto it. It may not be the correct way to do this, but it works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts