Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spring my Case 444 has been extremely rough shifting into gear. When I move the travel control level forward the tractor jumps forward or jumps back and forth. Sometimes when I do get it moving forward smoothly the travel control lever moves back into neutral on its own and the tractor slams to a stop. Would love some ideas on how to fix? Burton

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I have the same issue but have not addressed it. I believe if you search for dent pin clip you will find write ups of people addressing the issue. Apparently there is a plastic part that wears out and won’t hold the lever in the place you set it.
Another issue it sounds like you are having is the linkage is either worn out or out of adjustment.

the good thing is all the parts are cheap but from my understanding it takes some patience to install them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the linkage is worn out I have seen this a few times now and have been interested in either buying it or making my own. It looks like McMaster-Carr sourced parts or the like so they won't be hard to find. No idea if it's anyone on here but I would assume someone here knows more than me but here is the eBay listing for a kit that "fixes" the inherent problems with the linkages causing a tractor to act like it's had too much coffee.

I'll leave this here for people to discuss as they want to as I know very little about this issue and the potential fixes.

·
Administrator
6,445 Posts
By your description, this would seem to be your problem,
(there is a plastic part that wears out and won’t hold the lever in the place you set it.) I think, the vendors sell this plastic piece,, Likely a defective neutral start switch. You can have a look for it,, under dash, top of travel lever. (Depending on tractor serial #)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts