Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t do restores, but hopefully this tractor will look a little better when I’m done. Few things to fix first. Then clean dirt and grease off, like I said, refresh, quick sanding, then hopefully on goes the paint. I’m not a great painter. So hopefully I’ll post a few pictures as I do it. Could take a while to complete.

Noel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Good luck with the painting. I want to freshen up a few of my tractors but it’s been a long time since I played with metal and paint.

I was never good at either of those things so I will be paying attention with this one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaned up the hood, got the oil and dirt off, banged out some dents, washed with soap and water. Have to sand yet. Cleaned some oil and dirt of the front axle area. Painted a few small parts.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Banged a dent out of the rear of the left fender. When I get the tire and wheel off, I’ll do a bit more. Come out pretty good thou.

Noel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Did you heat up the rear fender to get the dent out?
I have a similar style dent on the rear fender that’s why I am asking.

part of me loves the original paint, dent, dings, surface rust and well used look and another part of me wants a completely restored tractor.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No heat. Just two hammers. One bigger than the other. Use the heavy one for a block on either side, and use the smaller hammer to do the hitting against the metal and big hammer.

I like the used look too. But this one is a little more than what I like. And as I said. I don’t restore, this is only a refresh. Still will have a used look. I’ve always wanted one of these 446’s for my collection. I like the rear big wheel look. All my other garden tractors have the regular rear wheels.
Noel

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clean out some dirt, grease and crud from the front end and underneath. Took the mounting pins and springs out , shined up the pins and painted the springs.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to fix up draw bar. Have bent it a couple of times. So I’ll cut the new piece to fit, weld it on and then drill hole for ball thru.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many rattle cans of paint to do I need to paint the tractor.? Just the tractor, no attachments. Or will a one litre can do it, if I decide to use spray gun. ?

Noel

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zesty orange pretty close in colour. Draw bar and bonnet hinge rod painted with it. Inside of access panel original paint. I’m guessing.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sanding started today. Wish I had power or air tools to do the work. Hard on the old hands.

Noel

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,107 Posts
How many rattle cans of paint to do I need to paint the tractor.? Just the tractor, no attachments. Or will a one litre can do it, if I decide to use spray gun. ?

Noel
Depending how you paint it, I think I used under 2 qts of paint,, all my pieces were painted separately though,, 2 coats on everything,

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dragging my heels on this one, still trying to figure out how to paint. What to use, spray rattle cans or spray air gun. Got the colour figured out. Will be chev orange or zesty orange. Any way. Got the model and serial number plate off and cleaned it up. Forgot to take picture before clean up. Picture of it cleaned, then clear coated. Got the seat off today. Did some sanding around the seat and tool box area.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Few more little things done. Clear coated the brake decal.

Noel

Attachments

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,236 Posts
IMO rattle cans will give you a very erratic spray pattern, while a spray gun can be adjusted to give a very uniform spray pattern. I personally would go with a spray gun if I had a choice!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A little bit more done. Brush underneath and spray can on front end and sides. Some underneath.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some more done today. One coat of white on one side of the rear wheels. Some sanding done. Painted under one fender and the lug nuts painted.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts