Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to reserect a beat up Case 648 loader I bought this summer that had missing fenders and rear seat support. It is operational as-is, but the seat is currently being supported by the gas tank, which is not something I am too comfortable with.

After looking on ebay for a while I have found that very few 644/646/648 loaders get parted out, but plenty of 446, 220, 222, 224 tractors get parted. Checked the parts manuals hoping to see if they will fit, but the part numbers dont match. Is anyone able to confirm if the rear seat support and fenders from any other case tractors will fit?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You're right that the parts you want don't become available very often. I think the main reason that the parts are somewhat different from the 400 models is that the fuel tank is larger on the 600 models. The rear seat support would be quite simple to replicate. Without doing any measurements I think that you could adapt some 400 fenders without a great deal of effort. The easiest way to accomplish all of this would be to borrow some of the correct parts and take them to a welding shop to be duplicated. If we knew your location someone might offer to let you borrow the parts or take necessary measurements. The seat and hinge from a 400 should transfer easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bart,

Thank you for the detailed information. I had not considered having some made at a metal fab shop. I live in central NJ if anyone is willing to let me borrow their parts to get some fabbed that would be great, but even that might be difficult with the lack of decent metal fab shops that would take on a small job (gotta love living in NJ....ha ha).

I have a welder and can do some very basic metal work myself, so maybe if I can get some cheap 446 parts I might go ahead and see if I can modify them. Eventually some 644/646/648 fenders/supports will end up on ebay, so I can always swap them out later.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
vfrman91 said:
I had not considered having some made at a metal fab shop. ...but even that might be difficult with the lack of decent metal fab shops that would take on a small job (gotta love living in NJ....ha ha).
I guess there is no recession in NJ or the welfare payments are too high. In Wisconsin there are a lot of shops that would be happy for any size job.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most fab shops, machine shops, hydraulic shops, industrial suppliers, plumbing suppliers, electrical suppliers, etc in NJ like to deal business-to-business only. Some places will work with/sell to regular guys, but it just depends on who is working the front desk/office.

When my central A/C quit last year during a heat wave I called 5 electrical suppliers before I got a decent guy who would sell me a $5 start capacitor and $5 time delay cash. All the others told me - contractors only!

I am like a fish out of water in NJ - my neighbor (case 446 owner) and I are the only guys within 20 neighboring houses that mow our own lawn. Everyone else hires it out to a service. The whole northern part of the state is full of guys that hire contractors to do everything....I cringe at that thought.

rant over.... :smile:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Your experience is pretty typical of suburbia everywhere I suspect. Thankfully, the internet has offered us many more options. Probably the best thing for you is to take a little trip to the farm belt in NJ and ask the local farmers where they go for welding--I guarantee every farmer knows a local guy who can fix/do everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.